Quantcast

Advice needed on potential paths

Clinical Shadowing Summer '22 Programs
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medic McNinja

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, everyone. I'm not sure what the optimal path to med school is from where I'm at. There are a few particularities that make it a little unclear how to apply the typical low GPA guidance to my situation.

General Information:
25 y/o white male, questionable state of residence (military, haven't lived in my "home" state for more than a year, potentially still a CA resident).
Married/No Kids/2 dogs the wife is very attached to
B.A. Biology (UC Santa Cruz 2013) 3.2 cGPA/3.1 sGPA with no real trend. One 4.0 quarter with a heavy course load, a few C's... mostly a lot of B's

BLUF
I would like to have a decent shot at DO schools, but grade replacement may be difficult/impossible due to my weird quarter system credits and class descriptions. My prereqs are kind of a mess, but admissible depending on the school. GPA aside, I will have to take at least a few classes for LoRs, but I have a good LoR promised from a DO that I have worked with quite a bit. I've always tested well, so I suspect that if I put in enough work I should get at least a passable MCAT score. I have good clinical exposure, but I'm not sure how the rest of my ECs come off. My GPA suffered in school because I was bored, fairly uninterested, and immature (example: the C I got in physics freshman year the prof told me he only passed me because I set the curve on the final, and he didn't feel right failing me since I clearly demonstrated mastery of the course...I just didn't apply myself AT ALL and I took that as a weird point of pride). I have grown up quite a bit in the last few years, and have not had issues applying myself to the (significantly more boring/tedious) military medical courses I have taken since.

Prereqs (somewhat complete, depending on the school):
Intro bio year didn't have lab, but have Human Anatomy and Animal Physiology upper divs with lab (7 quarter hours each)
2 quarters with lab of general and organic chem, but that's 14 quarter/9.3 semester hours, plus an advanced organic structure class and an upper div inorganic class with lab
Year of physics with lab
"English" is one class under "Writing" and a freshman writing class that doesn't sound like English, plus AP credit
AP Psych, no sociology classes
Other classes:
Cell Bio, Genetics, Evolution, Ecology, year+ of biochem, year of phys chem
Classes with C's:
second quarter physics (Fluids and Optics)
multivariable calc
cell bio (upper div)
ecology (upper div)
third quarter phys chem (Statistical Mechanics)
organic structure (grad level)

EC's:
3 years involvement/2 years martial art club president.

volunteered to assist a handful of search and rescue efforts locally

worked 3 years during college as a research assistant in the small satellites division at the Naval Postgraduate School, basically working as the tech running an attitude control testbed for up to a 3U cubesat consisting of an air bearing and GPS simulator in a triaxial Helmholtz coil setup. One of the master's students said he was including me/ some of my formulas in a pub, but I've never seen it. I worked 20hr/wk during school, 40 during summer.

I'm currently a "special operations" medic in the Army, which has given me a lot of clinical exposure. I'm supposed to function as an independent provider on deployment, so the training stresses autonomy much more than for a regular medic. Scope of practice is kind of like a flight/critical care medic plus sick call responsibilities.
-During training, shadowed 2 EM physicians for 7 12hr shifts, total, and the night critical care anesthesiologist for 2 8hr shifts in addition to the ~120 hours floating around the hospital and ~50 hours shadowing a PA during sick call, and scrubbed into two surgeries. This is when I really fell in love with medicine.
-6 months of sick call with our Doc, a FP DO-- We have a good relationship with him, so depending on staffing and pt volume we either take our own pt back, do the Hx/PE and present the pt to him or I do the Hx/PE in the same room while he charts, and steps in when I miss something.
-Deployment to West Africa, which involved some medical engagements in villages, some veterinary engagements, see host nation soldiers at their infirmary, seeing patients at an NGO clinic, and ~50 hours as the only other person scrubbed in with a Chinese surgeon in an OR that looked like it came straight out of the 50's.
-~40 hours teaching TCCC formally in the US, plus ~150 hours teaching first responder stuff and weapons handling in West Africa.
Plus whatever the next 2 years brings me (I get out of the Army August 2018)

Potential Paths to Medical School:
1) Apply for a second bachelor's program and use the GI bill to fund grade recovery for (1? 2? 3?) year(s). I was originally planning to go back and do a chemical engineering degree, but recently discovered engineering classes don't count for sGPA. (Note: I am aware engineering is generally a poor choice for GPA, but I have a fair amount of engineering exposure and enjoy that method of thinking. I'm also very interested in alternate energy sources. I could also switch over if my GPA wasn't up to par)
2) Take whatever night classes I can to boost GPA and get LoRs, and try for an SMP
3)Work as a paramedic after I get out and continue to take as many classes as I can
4) Take whatever night classes I can to boost GPA and get LoRs, and try to apply broadly with what I have
5) Reenlist, continue to work on my resume for a few more years, then pursue (1), (2) or (4)

I know that's a huge post, so thanks for bearing with me, and thank you in advance for any advice.

DrMikeP

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Option 3ish & 4. Also look at working as a scribe potentially. Get whatever retakes might work (sometimes you can get away with semester replacing quarter classes) and replace F/D/C's. Hopefully get your gpa above 3.25. Take biochem and do well on the MCAT.

Best of Luck

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.