Advice Needed on Taking Classes in NYC!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kmcd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently enrolled in the San Francisco State Post-Bac Program, and am in the process of applying to medical school. My husband will be relocating to NYC from Singapore in January, and I very much hope to join him at that point in time.

My only challenge is that I may need to complete two additional courses prior to matriculation to medical school: Biochemistry and/or Statistics.

I would love to take these courses at Columbia, NYU, CCNY, or Hunter...but don't think that I can register if I'm not part of an official post-bac program.

Does anyone have any advice on where I could take these courses? If possible, I'd like to stay away from community colleges. Additionally, I want to make certain that I won't encounter any over-enrollment issues.

Your help is much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Former resident here.

You can definitely enroll in Hunter without being in the formal post-bacc. I'm not so sure if that is the same with Columbia, but comparing the price tags I can't think of any good reason to choose the latter (especially if you only need a few more classes).

If I can ask, why are you taking biochem? Which school specifically requires it?

Thanks so much for your response, really appreciate it.

Yes, I'm definitely keen to keep costs down, so Hunter would be a great option. I've had a look at the Continuing Studies Catalogue, and unfortunately, can't seem to find Biochem or Statistics...nor any other hard sciences/upper-level math courses. Are you certain that these types of classes are available students that aren't in a degree or certificate granting program?

In any case, I'm going to give them a call tomorrow given your input.

Off the top of my head, both USC and UC Irvine require biochem. I'd also like to keep myself busy with courses that are beneficial for future applications (should I not be accepted during this application round).

Thanks again :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks so much for your response, really appreciate it.

Yes, I'm definitely keen to keep costs down, so Hunter would be a great option. I've had a look at the Continuing Studies Catalogue, and unfortunately, can't seem to find Biochem or Statistics...nor any other hard sciences/upper-level math courses. Are you certain that these types of classes are available students that aren't in a degree or certificate granting program?

In any case, I'm going to give them a call tomorrow given your input.

Off the top of my head, both USC and UC Irvine require biochem. I'd also like to keep myself busy with courses that are beneficial for future applications (should I not be accepted during this application round).

Thanks again :)

No worries. :thumbup:

BTW, USC Keck (assuming you don't mean South Carolina) doesn't require biochem.

http://keck.usc.edu/About/Administrative_Offices/Office_of_MD_Admissions/Course_Requirements.aspx

I'm not sure about the UCs but I don't think they do either. That said, just because you don't 'need it' doesn't mean it isn't to your benefit to take it anyway. You're not conflating biochem with o-chem right?

Hmm. Wow, you're right USC doesn't require biochem. Interesting that they dropped this pre-req (per the MSAR and multiple other online sources, it was a requirement in previous years).

Just consulted the UC Irvine website and the secondary, unfortunately biochem is still required for matriculation ("courses must include inorganic, organic, and biochemistry"). It's the only UC to do so though.

Anyone else have any thoughts on the best location to take science courses in NYC?

My gf is in NYC for her residency now and I was looking at re-locating for SF to NYC and found getting the classes I need to be more of a pain that I had imagined (though, it was b/c I was looking at quite a few classes that weren't broken up the same way as UC Berkeley extension... for example only O-chem lab without the class wasn't an option anywhere I could find in NYC).

I don't think you'll have any problem with the classes below. You can take them at Columbia without any issue as a non-student (though, it's not cheap). Also, if accepted you can contact the schools and ask if they'll accept UNEs online biochem class, I've known quite a few schools to go that. Stats should be easier to find anywhere (Hunter, Columbia, NYU).

For Hunter, you need to apply as a second degree or non-degree student to CUNY I believe. You should call them and find out the specifics.

http://www.hunter.cuny.edu/ugprospects/getting-in/Applying/Non_Degree
http://www.hunter.cuny.edu/ugprospects/getting-in/Applying/Second_Degree

Biochem at Hunter is offered through the biology and chemistry department. Most people take the biology one since it is offered at night and is easier. It is only offered in the fall as I recall.

Stats is offered more or less year-round and can be getting into somewhat easily although with all things CUNY class space can be an issue.