Advice needed (optho residency)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neuroscut

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I am new to this board and needed some advice about applying for a ophthalmology residency. I am an IMG and have a years experience as an ophthalmology resident from my home country. However was always interested in research and hence decided to complete my PhD in Neurosciences from a middle-tier program in the US. I will be completing my PhD soon ( 3 publications and 8 abstracts) I am keenly interested in translational research, esp synapse formation in visual cortex and will be doing a short post-doc fellowship on the same. However I have realised that I want to be able to have some patient interaction (like most MD-PhDs have a lab, and 1-2 day clinical work) and hence am interested in applying for an ophtho residency, preferably going on to do a neuro-ophthal fellowship. I am interested in staying in academic medicine, and wanted to assess my chances of being able to do this.
I will be taking my boards shortly, and just wanted to ask around as to what my chances are of being able to get into a ophtho residency ( IMG, older grad but with sincere interest in the field and wish to continue with research). Any help and information about increasing my chances will be sincerely appreciated.

TIA

Members don't see this ad.

neuroscut said:
Hi everyone,
I am new to this board and needed some advice about applying for a ophthalmology residency. I am an IMG and have a years experience as an ophthalmology resident from my home country. However was always interested in research and hence decided to complete my PhD in Neurosciences from a middle-tier program in the US. I will be completing my PhD soon ( 3 publications and 8 abstracts) I am keenly interested in translational research, esp synapse formation in visual cortex and will be doing a short post-doc fellowship on the same. However I have realised that I want to be able to have some patient interaction (like most MD-PhDs have a lab, and 1-2 day clinical work) and hence am interested in applying for an ophtho residency, preferably going on to do a neuro-ophthal fellowship. I am interested in staying in academic medicine, and wanted to assess my chances of being able to do this.
I will be taking my boards shortly, and just wanted to ask around as to what my chances are of being able to get into a ophtho residency ( IMG, older grad but with sincere interest in the field and wish to continue with research). Any help and information about increasing my chances will be sincerely appreciated.

TIA

I'd say your chances are good. True physician-scientists are hard to come by.

Hi Dr. Doan and other members,
Any suggestions please to beef up my application. I was also wondering if its possible to get some clinical experience in ophthalmology here. Are there any programs which have externships or observerships for IMGs.
Thanks
Jay

Members don't see this ad :)
I know of many international M.D.s and scientists that set up research rotations in particular visual science laboratories for months at a time. The focus is on research (clinical/basic science) but they make arrangements with the PI to observe their clinic 1-2x/week.

Ruben

Assuming your grades were on the good side, I'd say your chances are good. Your research experience is truly relevant to ophtho, which is great. In fact, someone just like yourself (IMG, MD+PhD, did extra research in our ophtho dept) just matched with me at Madison. I haven't met the guy yet, but the program director was very excited for him. I encourage you to apply to Madison!

limbus said:
Assuming your grades were on the good side, I'd say your chances are good. Your research experience is truly relevant to ophtho, which is great. In fact, someone just like yourself (IMG, MD+PhD, did extra research in our ophtho dept) just matched with me at Madison. I haven't met the guy yet, but the program director was very excited for him. I encourage you to apply to Madison!

How many hours a week does a person doing residency in ophthalmology have to work?