1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Advice needed - period every other month- why??

Discussion in 'Ob/Gyn' started by AnonymousUser, Nov 29, 2005.

1. AnonymousUser

AnonymousUser New Member

Pre-Medical
    Hi,

I'm a regular user but need some advice on an ob/gyn matter so have re-registered myself.

I'm 22 and have always had regular periods (since the age of 15, I've had it ever 28 days - you coudl set a clock by it) but recently (over the past 7-8 months) have been getting my period every other month only, and only roughly every 56 days at that - the gaps have been more like 50, 64, that kind of thing. There's probably less bleeding every other month than I used to get every month.

What could cause this? Could it be something serious which might affect my fertility? What are the 'trivial' causes it could have?

Thanks.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. cali_girl

cali_girl Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    You obviously need to speak to your gynecologist and get screened for things like hyperprolactinemia and thyroid disorders. The other thing it could be is polycystic ovarian syndrome. Have you noticed any increase in weight around the time the menstrual irregularities started? How about male hair growth patterns (chest, upper lip, male pattern hair loss), skin tags, acne, etc? Those would be indicators that you may have PCOS. There are blood tests your doctor can do, as well as a pelvic ultrasound. If you have PCOS you may have trouble getting pregnant, but lots of people are getting pregnant on glucophage alone now, or a combination of glucophage and clomid. Good luck.

4. snowinter

snowinter Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

I agree-- definatley go see your gynecologist. Let them work-you up. Not us:) most of us are medical students here-- and besides-- this forum cannot be used for giving medical advice. I know it can be frustrating when your periods always regular before. Weight loss can also be a cause. So, go get it checked out. good luck
    snow