advice needed please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GOLDenKatie

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there have been quite a few posts about this but I have been contemplating whether to take the kaplan course for the september 10 test. I need a 22 for my program (podiatry) and I took the 4/9 mcat and received a terrible score-I only reviewed the content for about a month.
I knew I needed to retake so I started all over in may and am following the 3 month Sn schedule with TPR hyperlearning books. (I also have kaplan and EK)
My biggest weakness is Bio. I just took AAMC 9 and scored 8,7,4 (an improvement from my april mcat).
So do you think I can increase my score by another 3 points by September 10 and how do I get better at BIO? I am going to re-read bio content review and do problems in 1001 bio? I just need to get some opinions because I really don't have the money for a course but I need to know if I can do it on my own. I have been studying daily for 4-5 hours but am prepared to study more this coming month. Thank you all for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

I know there have been quite a few posts about this but I have been contemplating whether to take the kaplan course for the september 10 test. I need a 22 for my program (podiatry) and I took the 4/9 mcat and received a terrible score-I only reviewed the content for about a month.
I knew I needed to retake so I started all over in may and am following the 3 month Sn schedule with TPR hyperlearning books. (I also have kaplan and EK)
My biggest weakness is Bio. I just took AAMC 9 and scored 8,7,4 (an improvement from my april mcat).
So do you think I can increase my score by another 3 points by September 10 and how do I get better at BIO? I am going to re-read bio content review and do problems in 1001 bio? I just need to get some opinions because I really don't have the money for a course but I need to know if I can do it on my own. I have been studying daily for 4-5 hours but am prepared to study more this coming month. Thank you all for the help!

If you treat the Bio passages like verbal passages but pay close attention to whats interacting with what and how things are relating to the graph or the situation and have a solid Bio vocabulary from which you can extrapolate context and be familiar with what other "words" relate to the topic you could get what you need.

In Bio I usually know a little about what the passage is talking about from my prior knowledge by just skimming the passage. Familiarize yourself with the TPR book. Know how the systems work and the key players (types of tissue and functions)