[Advice Needed] Residency apply with/without score? Step 2CK being released a week late.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thinksmart101

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Was advised to take the exam when I was truly ready (took it on Oct 12th), hence the reason for the horrible timing on Step 2 CK release date. Assuming that the 2 week schedule is still the turnaround time and assuming all goes well and I pass. Is it best to apply for programs that do not require ECFMG certificate and/or those that show preferred Step 2CK score?

I understand PD pull on Oct 21st and they select the applicants and never look back. I am at a standstill on how to approach. On one end, I want to apply, I have everything else, except the Step 2 CK score (Step 1 isn't so hot but it's a passing score 21x). On the other hand, I don't want to end up losing 10k + in application fees and not even get a legitimate shot at interviews.

I was hoping that the current state of the pandemic would be more open to the idea of late applicants, but I guess only the PD can make that call. At this point I am seeking some comfort or guidance or at least peace of mind. Anything helps.

Members don't see this ad.

Was advised to take the exam when I was truly ready (took it on Oct 12th), hence the reason for the horrible timing on Step 2 CK release date. Assuming that the 2 week schedule is still the turnaround time and assuming all goes well and I pass. Is it best to apply for programs that do not require ECFMG certificate and/or those that show preferred Step 2CK score?

I understand PD pull on Oct 21st and they select the applicants and never look back. I am at a standstill on how to approach. On one end, I want to apply, I have everything else, except the Step 2 CK score (Step 1 isn't so hot but it's a passing score 21x). On the other hand, I don't want to end up losing 10k + in application fees and not even get a legitimate shot at interviews.

I was hoping that the current state of the pandemic would be more open to the idea of late applicants, but I guess only the PD can make that call. At this point I am seeking some comfort or guidance or at least peace of mind. Anything helps.

Absolutely under no circumstances apply late. From my understanding, PDs will download your app, usually the first day that they can. If you don't send them out on time, they will likely never see your app ever.

You should just re-release your scores once your step 2CK score comes out.

Reactions: 1 users
Don't delay your application, although a week won't make much of a difference.

Release your score when available.

There is no downloading. ERAS is now (and has been for many years) a fully online system. It's possible that some programs actually print applications to review them, although that sounds like a really painful option. If programs have set up a filter of "complete applications to review" (which each program decides how to design), and if that filter requires CK for IMG's, as soon as your score is in your application will appear for review.

In any case, delaying your application does not buy you anything.

You can include a sentence at the end of your PS stating when you took CK and when you expect a score, if it will make you feel better.