Advice Needed: SMP, Post Bac Program, or science classes as a non degree student without a program?

Started by ILS1991
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ILS1991

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey Community,

Thanks in advance for taking your time to read my post. I graduated with a 3.1 GPA from a CUNY (City University of New York) in Anthropology (Medical Concentration). I had some set backs due to life and health issues in the beginning of my college career that plummeted my GPA. I was readmitted to school after dismissal with good reason. My grades have a great upward trend and I took one science "suggested" pre req for Medical School ... Human Biology and received a B+. Since graduating, I've been working along side Medical Professions in different settings as a volunteer, Prenatal/Labor/Postpartum Coach, service learning participant, and Health Program Coordinator.

After much research, I am still unsure what is best and may be ignorant to ALL my options when it comes to continuing a path in Medicine. Money is a factor but I recognize I may be able to apply as a second degree student and receive financial aid at some schools. Other schools have Post Bac programs one can get loans for but it still is a grueling ~50k for the program added to my accrued debt for a jump to a GPA that is still ... low!

As a person with little to no pre reqs completed, a low GPA and a desire to not drown in too much debt - does it even make sense to complete a Post Bac that will only take my GPA up so far? I understand a 3.3 - 3.5 is still average and research projects, work experience and stellar MCAT numbers could really be my muscles here. Then a relevant SMP in Nutrition at a state university where I could also take pre reqs at could make more sense (given I've taken the pre reqs for that SMP) ... OR I can take the science/math pre reqs as a non degree student at a state college (because I understand a community college pre med classes are looked down upon if you take them after receiving your bachelors). I am interested in a cost efficient way to navigate this low GPA and my chances of being a desirable Medical School Applicant. Can anyone share their experiences, pointers or resources I could benefit from?

Thanks again!
 
Hey Community,

Thanks in advance for taking your time to read my post. I graduated with a 3.1 GPA from a CUNY (City University of New York) in Anthropology (Medical Concentration). I had some set backs due to life and health issues in the beginning of my college career that plummeted my GPA. I was readmitted to school after dismissal with good reason. My grades have a great upward trend and I took one science "suggested" pre req for Medical School ... Human Biology and received a B+. Since graduating, I've been working along side Medical Professions in different settings as a volunteer, Prenatal/Labor/Postpartum Coach, service learning participant, and Health Program Coordinator.

After much research, I am still unsure what is best and may be ignorant to ALL my options when it comes to continuing a path in Medicine. Money is a factor but I recognize I may be able to apply as a second degree student and receive financial aid at some schools. Other schools have Post Bac programs one can get loans for but it still is a grueling ~50k for the program added to my accrued debt for a jump to a GPA that is still ... low!

As a person with little to no pre reqs completed, a low GPA and a desire to not drown in too much debt - does it even make sense to complete a Post Bac that will only take my GPA up so far? I understand a 3.3 - 3.5 is still average and research projects, work experience and stellar MCAT numbers could really be my muscles here. Then a relevant SMP in Nutrition at a state university where I could also take pre reqs at could make more sense (given I've taken the pre reqs for that SMP) ... OR I can take the science/math pre reqs as a non degree student at a state college (because I understand a community college pre med classes are looked down upon if you take them after receiving your bachelors). I am interested in a cost efficient way to navigate this low GPA and my chances of being a desirable Medical School Applicant. Can anyone share their experiences, pointers or resources I could benefit from?

Thanks again!

Harvard Extension School has affordable open enrollment postbac classes. I did a three year part time postbac there then did a one year SMP which I took out loans for. It was a long road but it got me in. Started with a 2.7 undergrad gpa. Currently an ms4 in a usmd school applying to residency.
 
Harvard Extension School has affordable open enrollment postbac classes. I did a three year part time postbac there then did a one year SMP which I took out loans for. It was a long road but it got me in. Started with a 2.7 undergrad gpa. Currently an ms4 in a usmd school applying to residency.

Did you take online classes from Harvard Extension School?