Advice needed: What should I do before my FM residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted815127

I am an off cycle applicant interested in FM, having finished my DO by Dec 31st, I have nothing "clinically" to do till residency starts 2020 and that is if I get a fm residency this year. I have been trying for the last few weeks to get a scribe position to keep my skills relevant, however, I keep hearing from every site that such programs are for pre-med students and my profile is of no interest

Are there any residents aware of clinical opportunities, paid preferably in the Northeast?

Members don't see this ad.

If you're financially able to do so then I would just relax personally. I don't think being a scribe would provide much benefit.
You can read/listen to the AAFP journals monthly for the next few months.

Reactions: 3 users
If you're financially able to do so then I would just relax personally. I don't think being a scribe would provide much benefit.
You can read/listen to the AAFP journals monthly for the next few months.
This. If you're set on doing some learning, I'd recommend casually listening to medicine podcasts, slowly starting to study for Level 3 (plan to get it out of the way early intern year), and do AAFP board review questions. Again, all of this done casually with a focus on chilling.

Members don't see this ad :)
Bonus points if you throw in some hikes, surfing, and various other sweet life events along with the advice above (Podcasts/AAFP random questions)

Reactions: 1 users
Any board failures/year repeats?

If not, and you applied to a lot of places, you should be fine

relax....relax and relax. It's like pre studying before med school...dont it! Nothing will prepare you. You will recall more than you think you will remember just relax until july.

Reactions: 1 users
You're about to enter 3 years of indentured servitude. Think of the most awesomest, furthest thing from medicine that you can imagine and do that. The memory may be the only thing that keeps you sane on that January at 1:30 am, 17th straight day of work, and you're in the middle of your 4th admission, 2 more waiting, another rapid response just got called and the ER just paged with another admission.... a "good teaching case." Make sure you're on time for morning sign out in 3 1/2 hours and make it look like you're hungry for more so as to not end up on 'the radar.'

Reactions: 2 users
You're about to enter 3 years of indentured servitude. Think of the most awesomest, furthest thing from medicine that you can imagine and do that. The memory may be the only thing that keeps you sane on that January at 1:30 am, 17th straight day of work, and you're in the middle of your 4th admission, 2 more waiting, another rapid response just got called and the ER just paged with another admission.... a "good teaching case." Make sure you're on time for morning sign out in 3 1/2 hours and make it look like you're hungry for more so as to not end up on 'the radar.'
Lol this is all true but only for the more intense FM residencies. A lot of places you carry like 4-5 simple patients only. And do a couple admits on nights at the most. But yes inpatient heavy residencies are like that.