Switching from Pathology to FM Advice Needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aggie09

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am a former PGY-2 pathology resident (completed second year). I was discharged from the program last year due to my lack of progression within the program. I put down the time to studying and getting help, but ultimately that was not enough. I am currently still in good standing with the program director and my pathology attendings. I know I can receive good LORs from them. Since then I have been doing pro-bono consulting work in graduate consulting programs. Upon reflection, I still miss clinical medicine, especially the patient interaction, management and treatment.

I have been applying for some medical assistant positions and volunteering positions at free clinics to try and strengthen my clinical skills, however I haven't had much success. I want to apply for family residency this September. Any advice or suggestions on making this transition into Family Medicine residency is greatly appreciated.

Thank you all!

Members don't see this ad.

I think the big thing for you assuming you can get good letters that will attest to your ability to be a good family doctor despite a lack of progression in pathology residency, will be showing a genuine interest in FM/primary care. If you can do some shadowing or other work as you mentioned with a family doc and get a letter, that will go a long way. Make sure you have a good narrative as to your interest in family medicine in your personal statement. Attend state and national family medicine conferences (AAFP FMX conference in the fall, AAFP national conference for students/residents to introduce yourself to FM programs in August I believe? And any similar state level conferences where you currently live) and put yourself out there. If you can find an MA or free clinic volunteering position in a primary care environment that would be ideal.

Reactions: 1 user
I think the big thing for you assuming you can get good letters that will attest to your ability to be a good family doctor despite a lack of progression in pathology residency, will be showing a genuine interest in FM/primary care. If you can do some shadowing or other work as you mentioned with a family doc and get a letter, that will go a long way. Make sure you have a good narrative as to your interest in family medicine in your personal statement. Attend state and national family medicine conferences (AAFP FMX conference in the fall, AAFP national conference for students/residents to introduce yourself to FM programs in August I believe? And any similar state level conferences where you currently live) and put yourself out there. If you can find an MA or free clinic volunteering position in a primary care environment that would be ideal.
Thank you very much for the advice and suggestion!

Agree. Reach out to places you think you want to apply to residency to see if they'll let you shape there. Many places did not fill initially this year. So assuming you're halfway decent, apply broadly, keep clinically active and I expect you'll match.

Reactions: 1 user