Advice needed with managing work flow in retail

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crossurfingers

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It seems to be the norm that we are 1 or more techs short or the ones we do have are newbies who are very restricted with what they can do . How do you handle that situation... as in, what duties would you assign each tech/pharmacist? Sometimes I feel like no matter what I do I'm just getting buried deeper and deeper.

For example, you have 1 pharmacist, 2 techs (1 of which is a newbie of about 4 months). There are 20 to type, 6 for pharmacist to review, 50 to fill, 6 for pharmacist to do final check. There is a pharmacist counseling window, an in/out window and drive through. In/out window and drive thru are non-stop so both techs are stuck there with no time to type any incoming prescriptions. That leaves the pharmacist typing, reviewing, filling and doing final check. No one can help from the front end of the store. How would you handle this?

Members don't see this ad.

It seems to be the norm that we are 1 or more techs short or the ones we do have are newbies who are very restricted with what they can do . How do you handle that situation... as in, what duties would you assign each tech/pharmacist? Sometimes I feel like no matter what I do I'm just getting buried deeper and deeper.

For example, you have 1 pharmacist, 2 techs (1 of which is a newbie of about 4 months). There are 20 to type, 6 for pharmacist to review, 50 to fill, 6 for pharmacist to do final check. There is a pharmacist counseling window, an in/out window and drive through. In/out window and drive thru are non-stop so both techs are stuck there with no time to type any incoming prescriptions. That leaves the pharmacist typing, reviewing, filling and doing final check. No one can help from the front end of the store. How would you handle this?

take care of the waiters and pick up the technicians' slack when/if you can

if an insurance is taking too long for a tech to process, ask the patient if they can have some time to work on it and call the patient once fixed

make sure techs are scanning rx at the drive thru. It is not vital that they type them. You or another store can type the scripts faster than your 4 month tech.

phone calls will be last priority when understaffed

I must insist as a nine year veteran in retail pharmacy that the "slack" from the technicians may in fact be a myth. My experience has been that most technicians can out-type a pharmacist (especially a new grad) four scripts to one. Be kind to yourself and have your newbie tech handle the cash register...then have your experienced tech do data entry and physical fill in between customers. YOU can check prescriptions and help with the physical filling as time permits. The drive-thru is one of those things that goes to whomever is the least busy at the moment. Sorry if this seems harsh but honestly retail pharmacy is a beast.

Members don't see this ad :)
I must insist as a nine year veteran in retail pharmacy that the "slack" from the technicians may in fact be a myth. My experience has been that most technicians can out-type a pharmacist (especially a new grad) four scripts to one. Be kind to yourself and have your newbie tech handle the cash register...then have your experienced tech do data entry and physical fill in between customers. YOU can check prescriptions and help with the physical filling as time permits. The drive-thru is one of those things that goes to whomever is the least busy at the moment. Sorry if this seems harsh but honestly retail pharmacy is a beast.

Thanks for the advice. The thing is, there is no "in between customers". One tech cannot handle both the in/out window and the drive through. It's a constant stream of people coming in to pick up and drop off. I do type, review, fill and verify. I'm just overwhelmed. It seems like things stay the same or get even worse no matter how I try. There's phone calls, flu shots, health testing, voice mail, etc. What do you suggest... if there are that many to type should I type them all, then review them all then fill and verify as they come in? Or should I type 10, check 10, fill 10, verify 10 at a time? With the first one at least everything's in the work queue. With the second one at least I feel like I'm moving forward somewhat. And in regards to waiters, we do keep up with them but the time it takes to do them takes away from our time with the ones who are coming back later if that makes sense. So we end up behind no matter what.

Thanks for the advice. The thing is, there is no "in between customers". One tech cannot handle both the in/out window and the drive through. It's a constant stream of people coming in to pick up and drop off. I do type, review, fill and verify. I'm just overwhelmed. It seems like things stay the same or get even worse no matter how I try. There's phone calls, flu shots, health testing, voice mail, etc. What do you suggest... if there are that many to type should I type them all, then review them all then fill and verify as they come in? Or should I type 10, check 10, fill 10, verify 10 at a time? With the first one at least everything's in the work queue. With the second one at least I feel like I'm moving forward somewhat. And in regards to waiters, we do keep up with them but the time it takes to do them takes away from our time with the ones who are coming back later if that makes sense. So we end up behind no matter what.

Sounds like you need one more person on staff, but I bet management won't allow the hours like in most retail situations.

Most retail chains are cheap and won't hire enough staff. They like to blame us and call us slow when the prescriptions pile up to be verified. If they weren't so cheap, they could hire another pharmacist to help. With all the people out of work, it wouldn't be hard to do. And then I had a supervisor comment about my going to the bathroom when they don't even give us a break for lunch. The chain I know about shuts down both the computers and phones at exactly 10 PM every night, so you can't even stay over a few minutes to check out a few last minutes customers.

Could you try having one person man both the window and drivethru? At our store the drivethru is right next to the register, so it's easy to go back and forth selling or scanning things in to both places. This could free up the other tech to do data/fill/phones. You can also do data & filling if you've caught up the data review and verifications. If you get any overlap, take advantage of that and go ahead in the queue so that you've got a buffer for when the first pharmacist leaves. Encourage people to not be waiters, unless it's urgent like a new abx or pain med. Somebody's refill of the lisinopril they've been getting for 15 years is not an emergency that should disrupt your flow, they can come back later on.

OP, do I work at your store? Hmmmmm.....

There are no good answers. You & the 2 techs can't do everything with the workload you have, certainly not in 15 minutes. As the previous poster suggested, I would recommend having 1 tech do both counter & drive-thru, have them do one person at the counter, then 1 person at the drive thru, then back to the counter. Have the 2nd tech fill & answer phones. You, type, review, & final verify. Reality is, you will still be behind, but at least every area is slowly being worked on. Concerning your question about what to do if you are the only one, I would do 10 of one task, then move to the next. While I understand wanting to have everything typed and that its a lot easier mentally to just do one task, rather than continually jumping to the one, in my experience, things will go better over all if everything keeps moving along (albeit slowly), rather than having 1 area getting all the concentration while the other areas lag.

Thanks for the input guys. Bottom line is I think we are short at least one other tech from 630pm-10pm. Just to give you an idea of how crazy this store is- it hit 600 yesterday (Saturday) which was 200 more than normal. On the 27th I heard it hit 1000 rx's with the lines in drive through blocking the street traffic. Our problem is from 630-10pm when one of our techs leaves and there's just two techs and me. The lines inside are all the way down to middle of our cold/cough aisle and the drive through is pretty constantly 5+ cars deep, so that's not something that 1 tech can handle. Front end does help a bit with in/out window but they don't know a lot so they other tech is still stuck up front helping. It's sad that I don't remember the last time I went to work and didn't come home completely exhausted and feeling like I failed to keep up.

Anyone else getting slammed this last week? We are running through Tamiflu like crazy and having to compound it takes up so much time. Plus add in the people coming in trying to get their meds in before the new year. Ugh. I've only been a pharmacist for 5 years, but I never remembered it being this bad consistently.

Thanks for the input guys. Bottom line is I think we are short at least one other tech from 630pm-10pm. Just to give you an idea of how crazy this store is- it hit 600 yesterday (Saturday) which was 200 more than normal. On the 27th I heard it hit 1000 rx's with the lines in drive through blocking the street traffic. Our problem is from 630-10pm when one of our techs leaves and there's just two techs and me. The lines inside are all the way down to middle of our cold/cough aisle and the drive through is pretty constantly 5+ cars deep, so that's not something that 1 tech can handle. Front end does help a bit with in/out window but they don't know a lot so they other tech is still stuck up front helping. It's sad that I don't remember the last time I went to work and didn't come home completely exhausted and feeling like I failed to keep up.

Anyone else getting slammed this last week? We are running through Tamiflu like crazy and having to compound it takes up so much time. Plus add in the people coming in trying to get their meds in before the new year. Ugh. I've only been a pharmacist for 5 years, but I never remembered it being this bad consistently.

Wait... did I read that right? You did 1000 rxs in a day with only 3 people? How is that even possible? And how is that even safe?

Wait... did I read that right? You did 1000 rxs in a day with only 3 people? How is that even possible? And how is that even safe?

No, the store did 600 the whole Saturday I was there. On my evening shift 2-10 there were 4 techs when I got there. At 430 there were 3 techs and at 630-10 there were 2 techs. The 1000rx/day number was just to demonstrate that this store is f-ing crazy. The most I've ever seen a store do was 800.

Alright, let's stop for a second and figure out how you got into this position. 20 to type can easily be accumulated with long lines and constant drop offs. But 50 to fill? Did someone print ahead for tomorrow and make the number look bigger than it is? Flip through them all and put them in time order. If there are any due tomorrow, put them in a separate pile to worry about later. Since this many to fill is a common occurrence, you should be watching when to fill in for your techs.

Take a peak at the counter. More than 3 people in line? Send the experienced tech up to be a line buster so it doesn't get overwhelming. During the time, start typing any waiters or fill anything due in the next hour. You need to control your lines, don't let it control you. Since this is normal volume at the store, you need to be prepared to help run it as smoothly as possible.

Drive thru is not priority number one. If someone pulls up, pick up the phone and tell them you'll be with them shortly. Yeah, they will give you death stares, but the drive thru is for convenience, not fast service. If you see the techs are overwhelmed up front, just grab the drive thru after a few minutes. Besides, when people sit too long at drive thru, they just get fed up and drive away and come back later. I am in no way saying to do this to everyone, but rather trying to say that your customers in the store should get more attention than the lazy ones.

When helping the techs out, keep an eye on your numbers too. Don't let your waiters sit too long. Once there is only 1-2 people in line again, call your tech back and have them fill or else they'll get stuck up there forever.

A lot of times, these intimidating numbers like 20 to type, 50 to fill are handled more easily if you just look at when things are due. If all 50 are due for pickup in 20 minutes, have a talk with the morning staff about their work flow because that's what's mucking you up. But if you're working on them at a decent pace, then no scripts should be past time due.

If you know your aren't the best filler, try to fill the ones due soon. Then just start pulling the drugs for the next dozen or so prescriptions so that when your tech comes back, he doesn't spend extra time wandering around looking for drugs. If something needs to be partial filled or out of stocked, have your tech give it to you to do it since you're in front of the computer and that 10 seconds could be better used (when you have 50 to fill, every second counts).

One thing that can slow techs down is prescriptions not being filed into their bins after they're done. If they have to dig through an endless black hole of prescriptions to find Jane Smith's prescription at the bottom, it will add wasted time and that can quickly add up, causing lines. If you see the basket overflowing, take a minute to file these because obviously your techs are too busy too.

My last tip is to be preemptive. If you get in at 2 and another pharmacist is still there and it isn't overwhelmingly busy, help dump the work load and start filling to get you in better shape for later. Spend a half hour--45 mins filling and between you and a tech almost everything should be done. Then go back and help the other pharmacist clean up.

Your techs will also appreciate the help more than you know because nothing is more irritating to a tech than a pharmacist who is too self righteous to help to basic things to make the job run easier, like type or file.

Alright, let's stop for a second and figure out how you got into this position. 20 to type can easily be accumulated with long lines and constant drop offs. But 50 to fill? Did someone print ahead for tomorrow and make the number look bigger than it is? Flip through them all and put them in time order. If there are any due tomorrow, put them in a separate pile to worry about later. Since this many to fill is a common occurrence, you should be watching when to fill in for your techs.

Take a peak at the counter. More than 3 people in line? Send the experienced tech up to be a line buster so it doesn't get overwhelming. During the time, start typing any waiters or fill anything due in the next hour. You need to control your lines, don't let it control you. Since this is normal volume at the store, you need to be prepared to help run it as smoothly as possible.

Drive thru is not priority number one. If someone pulls up, pick up the phone and tell them you'll be with them shortly. Yeah, they will give you death stares, but the drive thru is for convenience, not fast service. If you see the techs are overwhelmed up front, just grab the drive thru after a few minutes. Besides, when people sit too long at drive thru, they just get fed up and drive away and come back later. I am in no way saying to do this to everyone, but rather trying to say that your customers in the store should get more attention than the lazy ones.

When helping the techs out, keep an eye on your numbers too. Don't let your waiters sit too long. Once there is only 1-2 people in line again, call your tech back and have them fill or else they'll get stuck up there forever.

A lot of times, these intimidating numbers like 20 to type, 50 to fill are handled more easily if you just look at when things are due. If all 50 are due for pickup in 20 minutes, have a talk with the morning staff about their work flow because that's what's mucking you up. But if you're working on them at a decent pace, then no scripts should be past time due.

If you know your aren't the best filler, try to fill the ones due soon. Then just start pulling the drugs for the next dozen or so prescriptions so that when your tech comes back, he doesn't spend extra time wandering around looking for drugs. If something needs to be partial filled or out of stocked, have your tech give it to you to do it since you're in front of the computer and that 10 seconds could be better used (when you have 50 to fill, every second counts).

One thing that can slow techs down is prescriptions not being filed into their bins after they're done. If they have to dig through an endless black hole of prescriptions to find Jane Smith's prescription at the bottom, it will add wasted time and that can quickly add up, causing lines. If you see the basket overflowing, take a minute to file these because obviously your techs are too busy too.

My last tip is to be preemptive. If you get in at 2 and another pharmacist is still there and it isn't overwhelmingly busy, help dump the work load and start filling to get you in better shape for later. Spend a half hour--45 mins filling and between you and a tech almost everything should be done. Then go back and help the other pharmacist clean up.

Your techs will also appreciate the help more than you know because nothing is more irritating to a tech than a pharmacist who is too self righteous to help to basic things to make the job run easier, like type or file.

A very informative post.I sure will learn something from it.

Ya tamiflu is is flying of the shelf like crazy. We dispensed like 20+ tamiflu last saturday. We eventually ran out and had to send them elsewhere.

We were down to like 1 capsule left yesterday in my hospital before I decided to emergency borrow some from another hospital in our health system. I kept telling the nurses who were coming with the orders for Tamiflu to tell the docs to stop prescribing it since we were about to run out.