Advice Needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CalypsoMed

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have one of those personal advice questions to ask. I studied abroad last semester in France and worked in a research lab while I was there (for credit) and also took a couple of classes. However, my grades (which don't get factored into my overall GPA) have not yet come in, and may not until September at the latest. I'm afraid to send in my AMCAS because I don't know if the med schools will take the absence of grades for this past semester as some kind of "black hole" in my application. What do you suggest I do?

Members don't see this ad.

I think your best bet at this point is to contact somebody at AMCAS and explain your situation and see what they have to say. Also, when you enter coursework and grades on the application, I think there is an option that lets you indicate that you haven't received the grades yet (although I'm not too sure on this). Go through the application and check this yourself. In any case, I think mailing your AMCAS ASAP should be your priority.

Good luck.

Cal, like Nic alluded to, the AMCAS-e has an entry in Academic Coursework where you can tag courses as 'No Record', if no final grade is available due to an administrative problem or delay at your school. What happens then is that no AMCAS grade will be assigned to that course. Using that option may allow you to get that bad boy out to schools sooner.

AMCAS and medical schools don't really care about your grades from what I think is the spring semester. Just leave it blank. It will be very unussual for any one to even notice since a lot of schools don't even finish on June 1st, the first time you can submit your AMCAS. I left out my spring grades and it was not even an issue.

Spend your time writing a good essay and give
it too many people to proof read.

Artur