Buckeye(OH)

5K+ Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2004
6,168
174
Toledo, Ohio
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Ok, some background, as an undergrad I took biochem with a bunch of other classes and though I passed, it wasnt pretty (C-).

Long story short, I am retaking it now as a graduate student along with Tox II, Cancer Chemoprevention, and Pharmacology.

First, I have a lot on my plate and would like to maintain my current graduate gpa of 4.0 through this quarter so its on my med school app.

Secondly, I am not sure if the time I have will allow me to take both Pharm 600 and biochem (and get A's in both).

Thirdly, biochem is the more important of the two grades for two reasons 1) its worth more credits and 2) I need to show that I can get a good grade in it.

The question is, in your opinions should I struggle through both classes or drop the pharmacology and keep the biochem? The other two classes are not an option as they are required. You are probably thinking sure, no problem. But there is a catch. Toxicology I/II are not listed on my transcript as such, they are listed as Group Studies in Environmental Health Sciences so....is there a way that adcoms will know that this really was tox i and II? The reason that I am hesitant to drop pharm is this: if adcoms don't know that I am actually in tox, than they will think I havent taken much science, but if they see the Pharmacology than they will know I am taking science classes.


What should I do? Sorry for throwing this post together but I need to head to class.

As of now, I am 60% thinking of dropping the pharmacology and 40% for keeping it.



Thanks
Adrian
 

SaltySqueegee

El Rey de Salsa
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2003
1,261
3
www.studentdoctor.net
Status
MD/PhD Student
Originally posted by Buckeye(OH)
Ok, some background, as an undergrad I took biochem with a bunch of other classes and though I passed, it wasnt pretty (C-).

Long story short, I am retaking it now as a graduate student along with Tox II, Cancer Chemoprevention, and Pharmacology.

First, I have a lot on my plate and would like to maintain my current graduate gpa of 4.0 through this quarter so its on my med school app.

Secondly, I am not sure if the time I have will allow me to take both Pharm 600 and biochem (and get A's in both).

Thirdly, biochem is the more important of the two grades for two reasons 1) its worth more credits and 2) I need to show that I can get a good grade in it.

The question is, in your opinions should I struggle through both classes or drop the pharmacology and keep the biochem? The other two classes are not an option as they are required. You are probably thinking sure, no problem. But there is a catch. Toxicology I/II are not listed on my transcript as such, they are listed as Group Studies in Environmental Health Sciences so....is there a way that adcoms will know that this really was tox i and II? The reason that I am hesitant to drop pharm is this: if adcoms don't know that I am actually in tox, than they will think I havent taken much science, but if they see the Pharmacology than they will know I am taking science classes.


What should I do? Sorry for throwing this post together but I need to head to class.

As of now, I am 60% thinking of dropping the pharmacology and 40% for keeping it.



Thanks
Adrian
On the AMCAS application when filling out the coursework section,

Enter the title of the course as being Sem. Envir. Hlth. Stud./Tox I
and Sem. Envir. Hlth. Stud./Tox II

The course ID should be the same as the one on your transcript, so when it comes to matching up and comparing your transcripts it should still match.
 

Maxip

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 16, 2004
86
0
40
My pockets hurt...
Visit site
Status
As a fellow tox major (not from OSU), I had no problem using my tox grades, and even my seminar grades, in the BCPM portion of AMCAS. Mine, too, were listed as EHS courses. I agree with the poster above, just clarify what the titles of the course are.

I can't believe I tried to help out a buckeye...
 
About the Ads

exmike

NOR * CAL
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 19, 2003
4,206
11
42
Bay Area
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
remember that although it is BCMP, its still separate from your undergrad BCMP b/c you took it as part of a grad program
 

Buckeye(OH)

5K+ Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2004
6,168
174
Toledo, Ohio
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Any advice on pharmacology? I am thinking that in order to concentrate on Biochem I should drop it...




Adrian
 

Maxip

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 16, 2004
86
0
40
My pockets hurt...
Visit site
Status
My advice would be to take as many relevant science classes that you can without risking overloading yourself. Pharmacology is definitely a BCPM course, and is part of the medical school curriculum, so if you ace it, it'd look good.

Pretty much any grad course related to the life sciences can be listed as a biological course. Concentrate on what you need to take to get your degree. Just make sure to take the heaviest load that you can while maintaining good grades.

Michigan beat OSU last year... :clap:
 

Buckeye(OH)

5K+ Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2004
6,168
174
Toledo, Ohio
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Originally posted by Maxip
My advice would be to take as many relevant science classes that you can without risking overloading yourself. Pharmacology is definitely a BCPM course, and is part of the medical school curriculum, so if you ace it, it'd look good.

Pretty much any grad course related to the life sciences can be listed as a biological course. Concentrate on what you need to take to get your degree. Just make sure to take the heaviest load that you can while maintaining good grades.

Michigan beat OSU last year... :clap:
So we beat you the year before and by the way, when was the last time you were national champs? :)

I am also doing research so I am a little concerned that I might be spreading myself to thin. The conservative thing to do would be to drop the pharmacology. However, that may come at the price of screwing my other grades...

Tough decision.
 

Maxip

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 16, 2004
86
0
40
My pockets hurt...
Visit site
Status
Hey, now, its not our fault that we had a gorilla for a quarterback. And we KIND of played in a national championship this year :rolleyes:

If you think getting out of pharmacology will help, get out. My take on the process was that the research experience is going to be one of the most important benefits of your grad education; so do that right before all else. (OK, well don't fail your courses...)

How do you like tox? Are you a tox major, or an EHS major?

No Clarett, no Krenzel... it's ON.
 

Maxip

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 16, 2004
86
0
40
My pockets hurt...
Visit site
Status
Originally posted by Buckeye(OH)
So we beat you the year before and by the way, when was the last time you were national champs? :)
1997... wasn't THAT long ago. :laugh:
 

Buckeye(OH)

5K+ Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2004
6,168
174
Toledo, Ohio
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Originally posted by Maxip
Hey, now, its not our fault that we had a gorilla for a quarterback. And we KIND of played in a national championship this year :rolleyes:

If you think getting out of pharmacology will help, get out. My take on the process was that the research experience is going to be one of the most important benefits of your grad education; so do that right before all else. (OK, well don't fail your courses...)

How do you like tox? Are you a tox major, or an EHS major?

No Clarett, no Krenzel... it's ON.
I am EHS. I am doing research with the same person that I did research with as an undergrad and we are trying to get a paper out the door so the pressure is onnnn.

Are you a med student?



Adrian
 

Buckeye(OH)

5K+ Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2004
6,168
174
Toledo, Ohio
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Let's bump this to the top. I really need to make a decision as to whether or not I am going to drop pharmacology ASAP. I have a Tox test on Monday and with the stuff I have going on in this next week, I don't think I am going to have the time to study for my pharm test on Friday like I had originally planned.


Anyone else think its worth it to struggle through? This decision is really stressing me out.....
 

Buckeye(OH)

5K+ Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2004
6,168
174
Toledo, Ohio
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Quick other tidbit, if I drop this class, this may mean that I will graduate next spring (june 05) rather than March 05, which I guess doesn't really matter that much.

Also, I have read that on the AMCAS application you put down classes that you plan on taking, this is true, right?
 
May 31, 2003
928
7
42
FL
www.facebook.com
Status
Attending Physician
Buckeye(OH) said:
Quick other tidbit, if I drop this class, this may mean that I will graduate next spring (june 05) rather than March 05, which I guess doesn't really matter that much.

Also, I have read that on the AMCAS application you put down classes that you plan on taking, this is true, right?
it won't matter if you graduate in june.

yes, you list the classes you are going to take in the future.
 
About the Ads