Advice Needed

Started by Luvlost
Tags Tags
premed gpa
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Luvlost

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone! I just completed my first year of undergrad and I had a really tough time transitioning from high school. I checked my grades on my school website and realized that I am considered a junior. I completed my first year of college in high school! Now I am freaking out! I don't have any shadowing and I only volunteered at the homeless once. I have only been involved in like two organizations on campus. My GPA right now is a 3.36. I plan to retake calculus and chemistry I made a d and try to shot for a 4.0 these next two semesters and hopefully bring my GPA to a 3.5ish. Should I slow down on my classes ( i have been taking 16-17 credit hours a semester) and graduate with my right class so I can have more time to bring my GPA up and get more volunteer and shadowing in? Or do you think that I will be able to apply for med school with like a high 3.5ish GPA and take the mcat in next spring score high and get as much volunteer hours in as I can into this year? I really would not like to have a gap year.

Ps. Even though I am not interesting in becoming a research Doctor, should I still do some research?
 
> 85% of all MD school matriculants have research in their app. To quote the wise DrMidlife:

“you've preferably had some exposure to research so you can be convinced that Wakefield used malicious dirtbag methods and is not the savior of the world's children.”



Hello everyone! I just completed my first year of undergrad and I had a really tough time transitioning from high school. I checked my grades on my school website and realized that I am considered a junior. I completed my first year of college in high school! Now I am freaking out! I don't have any shadowing and I only volunteered at the homeless once. I have only been involved in like two organizations on campus. My GPA right now is a 3.36. I plan to retake calculus and chemistry I made a d and try to shot for a 4.0 these next two semesters and hopefully bring my GPA to a 3.5ish. Should I slow down on my classes ( i have been taking 16-17 credit hours a semester) and graduate with my right class so I can have more time to bring my GPA up and get more volunteer and shadowing in? Or do you think that I will be able to apply for med school with like a high 3.5ish GPA and take the mcat in next spring score high and get as much volunteer hours in as I can into this year? I really would not like to have a gap year.

Ps. Even though I am not interesting in becoming a research Doctor, should I still do some research?