advice needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

m4kim

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is september too late to do your first anesthesiology elective? Will there be enough time for letters of recommendations to be written? How would it look to programs to do the first anesthesiology rotation so late? How important is it to apply early for anesthesiology and when is the latest one should apply? Any advice would be grateful!

Members don't see this ad.

m4kim,
No September is not too late for your first elective. I did mine in Sept. last year and it worked out fine. There is enough time for letters to be written, but make sure that you do get a letter from this elective! I asked on the last day and it was fine. As far as when to apply, apply on the first day that you can. Sept. 15 for ERAS? I think that's what it is but double check it to be sure. You can have all of your application done and submit it and then go back and submit letters as they come in. By the way, it's nice to have your CV and personal statement done and submitted and THEN hand this to the letter writer. It lets them incorporate you into the letter as they can read and write simultaneously.
Good luck!

I had no letter from my anesthesia elective, which I took in October. I did get asked on a few interviews what my grade in the elective was. The only anesthesia letter I had was from my chair.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with 2ndyear. You can wait on getting all your letters in, but definitely get the first part of your application (demographic data and resume, essentially) submitted as soon as possible.

Many places start offering interviews as soon as your resume/personal statement and at least one letter are online, but a few will wait until the dean's letter goes out on Nov 1. Definitely have all your letters in before the dean's letter goes out.

The importance of submitting your application early is already stated here, but I feel the need to emphasize how important this is. Many programs offer interviews on a rolling admissions basis and once all their spots are filled, you may be out of luck even if you are qualified. Many anesthesia programs will offer interviews when you have your personal statement, application and at least 1 letter in. Others that don't offer interviews until after the Dean's letter come out may do so based on the order that applications were initially submitted. Do yourself a favor and get all of your application and resume ready during the summer of 4th year so that you can send it out as soon as possible.