Advice needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goooooober

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a 2nd year medical student at an osteopathic medical school. For our third and fourth year we can choose to either do preceptorial based rotations or travel outside the state to do hospital based. I want to become a pediatric surgeon and realize that hospital based rotations are very important for my career choice. The problem is that I have no idea which hospitals to go to for each rotation. More clearly, I don't know who offers good rotations in Internal medicine or general surgery or etc....... Geography is not important, for I am willing to travel anywhere in the US. I would appreciate anyone who has experience and a little time to provide some guidance about great rotations (teaching hospitals) in the fields of pediatrics, Internal medicine, OB/GYN, General surgery, Family medicine, or emergency medicine. You don't have to give me a name for all fields, just those that you know of. I want to pick the brains of those who actually have done many rotations and can compare and provide information about rotations that taught them the most and were an overall great experience. Thanx for your time and response in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
Have you thought about University of Cincinnati/Cincinnati Children's Hospital The pediatrics program here is top-notch. Family medicine at Cinci is also a very highly-rated program with many varied opportunities including academic, community, and underserved/rural opportunities. Also, Cinci's emergency medicine program is among the best. Actually, it was the very first EM residency program in the US, started in 1970.

Take a look at their websites:
http://www.cincinnatichildrens.org/ed/default.htm
http://www.familymedicine.uc.edu/residency/residency.htm
http://www.emermed.uc.edu/

Thanx Berns for taking the time to reply, I really appreciate it. Any information provided is a great help since I simply don't know anything about good programs or how to find them.

Hey gooooooober,

Does your school have some sort of requirement where you have to do a certain percentage of your electives or your core hospitals/clinics at osteopathic institutions? If so, try to do those at places where they have a residency program in the field of the rotation that you'll be doing. I've been told that you have a better chance of being taught properly because they will have residents and interns and are used to teaching students. The strong ones are usually in Michigan or Ohio, and there are allopathic institutions within range for you to complete the rest of your rotations in, like the ones Berns mentioned above. You might risk coattailing somebody for 4 weeks if you go to some private doc's office. (This is all either hearsay or advice given to me, as I'm an M1, so take with a huge grain of salt) Good luck :)

Thanx for the info luckystar. What you say makes a lot of sense. I appreciate you passing along that valuable info. Anyone else willing, please contribute.