Advice Needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

John1983

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I need some advice. PLEASE HELP
I am a NJ native
I have a 3.4 overall GPA and a 3.3 science GPA.
Core Science classes I have a bad record.
BIO - B+, A
GEN CHEM - B, C
Orgo - B+ C+
Physics B, C+
I have a 30N (10,10,10)
I am graduating in May.I did not apply this cycle because I thought I did
bad on MCAT. I was wondering what would help me. Should I do a post bac program or should I do SMP?
I have really good activties and letters

Thank you before hand for reading and please give me advice
John

Members don't see this ad.

John1983 said:
Hey guys I need some advice. PLEASE HELP
I am a NJ native
I have a 3.4 overall GPA and a 3.3 science GPA.
Core Science classes I have a bad record.
BIO - B+, A
GEN CHEM - B, C
Orgo - B+ C+
Physics B, C+
I have a 30N (10,10,10)
I am graduating in May.I did not apply this cycle because I thought I did
bad on MCAT. I was wondering what would help me. Should I do a post bac program or should I do SMP?
I have really good activties and letters

Thank you before hand for reading and please give me advice
John

Yo John,

I feel bad it has taken this long for anybody to respond to you. What's up with everybody! I think a lot of the post-baccs might be jealous. A 3.4 GPA and 30 MCAT are numbers most people in the postbacc forum would kill for right now. I am really surprised you didn't at least throw your hat into the ring and apply as you are now to see what would have at least happened. I think you might have had a chance. Anyway, that's water under the bridge. If I were you, I'd apply to the Rosalind Franklin Applied Physiology Masters program for entry in Fall 2006. It's a one year masters program in which you take 36 credits of 1st year med school courseload. If you finish the program with at least a 3.0 GPA, you are given guaranteed spot into Chicago Med School. And the sweet part doesn't end there, I just learned from someone who did this, that your first year in med school is basically a vacation. Since you would have taken most of the coursework already, you only need to take like two subjects during your first year of med school. While other M1s are slaving away, you are big pimipin', p.i.m.p.
I would have done this program if I my grades were better, but I think this type of program fits your profile pretty well.

shkmiami said:
Yo John,

I feel bad it has taken this long for anybody to respond to you. What's up with everybody! I think a lot of the post-baccs might be jealous. A 3.4 GPA and 30 MCAT are numbers most people in the postbacc forum would kill for right now. I am really surprised you didn't at least throw your hat into the ring and apply as you are now to see what would have at least happened. I think you might have had a chance. Anyway, that's water under the bridge. If I were you, I'd apply to the Rosalind Franklin Applied Physiology Masters program for entry in Fall 2006. It's a one year masters program in which you take 36 credits of 1st year med school courseload. If you finish the program with at least a 3.0 GPA, you are given guaranteed spot into Chicago Med School. And the sweet part doesn't end there, I just learned from someone who did this, that your first year in med school is basically a vacation. Since you would have taken most of the coursework already, you only need to take like two subjects during your first year of med school. While other M1s are slaving away, you are big pimipin', p.i.m.p.
I would have done this program if I my grades were better, but I think this type of program fits your profile pretty well.

thanks man...
well I have been really looking into the program and hopefully Ill be able to get in. I think thats the best option for me too. I didn't want to apply because I really dont have a lot of money and it was late. A lot of people say apply early apply early. So, I will probably apply to the program and hopefully get in and then apply to some medical schools next year. So, well see what happens
Thanks for replying
Good luck to you too...I hope everything works out for you...

Members don't see this ad :)
shkmiami said:
Yo John,

Actually some people already responded in the pre-allopathic forum!

Just a quick question, what numbers are competitive for the program?
31R MCAT and 3.0GPA sounds good?