advice needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tracy

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I am fascinated by the dental profession. I would love to become a dentist. However, I think the biggest obstacle for me to get into a dental school is my communication skill. I heard that it is really important to have excellent communicational and interpersonal skills to become a dentist.
I came to the U.S. 4 years ago. So as you can imagine, I have accent, though not very very heavy.
Can anyone tell me how important the commnuicational skill plays in an interview or later in the career? Do you think dental profession is suitable for me?
By the way, I am already in my late 20's. Thus, to get rid of my accent is impossible.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

If there is one skill that spilts between a good dentist and a bad dentist it is the ability to communicate and develop a personal relationship with a patient. I cannot stress how important it is for a professional to communicate with their patient. having an accent doesn't mean you cannot communicate, but you need to know and understand others. You can take communication classes make sure you try to speak in English whenever you get the chance. I have many Asian friends and it is unheard of them to speak in English with other Asian people. That is the biggest mistake, because if you don't use it you lose it. You have to be comfortable with English. That is one of the main objectives for the Interview. Another way to illustrate your potential is to do very well on the Reading comprehension portion of the DAT. That is a must to hit at least a 20 on that portion. Good luck. Please post or PM me if you have more questions.

DesiDentist

Hi, DesiDentist
It seems to me, pm didn't work. So, I replied here. Anyway!
Thank you very much for your advice! I will take your advice seriously and practice speaking English as much as possible so as to speak fluently. I am right now doing some post-bacc to finish up those prerequistes. And I will try to apply in 2004. So, hopefully I will have been able to speak comfortably in English by then.
So, have you heard or known any people who also has accent but was accepted by dental schools? And which DAT preparation books would you recommend for me to improve reading comprehension section and biology section? Oh by the way, I am thinking of taking DAT before I finish Organic II. Do you think that is too dangerous?
Sorry to bomb you with all these questions. Thanks in advance.

Oh, Congratulations
:clap: , you received interview invitations from nearly all of your top choices!!!:clap: :clap:
Good luck on your interviews!!!
Tracy

Members don't see this ad :)
To Tracy:

As long as you can comprehend the English language and can articulate yourself, the accent should not matter.

Many of the instructors at my dental school for instance are foreign dentists who successfully went through accreditation and licensure to practice here in the United States. If they can practice dentistry and are so incredibly good at teaching despite having an accent, I don't see how an accent should be an issue with you.

Just do it! :clap:

Good luck!