Advice Needed!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mossimo870

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I would love some advice regarding my personal situation.

26 yrs old, just graduated with a bachelors in psych after a full 7 years of undergraduate studies. I started college at Northeastern University as an exercise physiology major, but moved home and switched to Hofstra. I received an A in Gen Chem, B in Bio, B in Stats (one semester), and a B- in Orgo 1 (C+ in lab). I have not taken Orgo 2 or Physics yet.

I started college with a focus towards pre-med. Over the years, I decided that I no longer wanted to go to med school, and completely lost my focus in school. I literally stopped trying. The real unfortunate part of my undergrad career is that I have about 8-9 "UW" on my transcript. (An unofficial withdrawal, meaning that I stopped showing up early on in the semester, and the teacher gave me a UW. It doesn't count toward my GPA). I graduated with a 3.3 from Hofstra, but that doesn't take into account my NEU classes.

Now, finally at 26, I have my focus back and have been seriously considering dental school. I am ready to do whatever it takes to get accepted.

My main question is, would it be advised that I take a post-bacc pre-med program? I'm thinking that it would hopefully serve as an indication that I am finally taking school seriously. What are my best options regarding admissions to dental school? I feel that retaking Gen Chen and Orgo will help me prepare for the DAT, and I have to take Physics and Calc 1.

Sorry that was so long, but ANY advice about my situation would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

I would love some advice regarding my personal situation.

26 yrs old, just graduated with a bachelors in psych after a full 7 years of undergraduate studies. I started college at Northeastern University as an exercise physiology major, but moved home and switched to Hofstra. I received an A in Gen Chem, B in Bio, B in Stats (one semester), and a B- in Orgo 1 (C+ in lab). I have not taken Orgo 2 or Physics yet.

I started college with a focus towards pre-med. Over the years, I decided that I no longer wanted to go to med school, and completely lost my focus in school. I literally stopped trying. The real unfortunate part of my undergrad career is that I have about 8-9 "UW" on my transcript. (An unofficial withdrawal, meaning that I stopped showing up early on in the semester, and the teacher gave me a UW. It doesn't count toward my GPA). I graduated with a 3.3 from Hofstra, but that doesn't take into account my NEU classes.

Now, finally at 26, I have my focus back and have been seriously considering dental school. I am ready to do whatever it takes to get accepted.

My main question is, would it be advised that I take a post-bacc pre-med program? I'm thinking that it would hopefully serve as an indication that I am finally taking school seriously. What are my best options regarding admissions to dental school? I feel that retaking Gen Chen and Orgo will help me prepare for the DAT, and I have to take Physics and Calc 1.

Sorry that was so long, but ANY advice about my situation would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!!!

26 years old?? That's a little too old to start dentistry,...sorry:(

Enough lame jokes....

Schools understand that not everyone is didactically motivated at age 18. They do however look for scholastic upward trends and life experience and here is where its not so bad for you. Having said this, competition is so high that you have to nail the GPA or DAT(or even better,...both!). My reccomendation is to get to the 3.4'ish GPA and at least a 3.3'ish cGPA. Then crush the DAT with 20+ AA/TS/PAT and no score under 18. Apply early(June 1st). Talk up your strong points about being a non-trad and you got an excellent shot a getting in. Iknow what I said is easier said than done, but hey, your entering an impacted field. Good luck!!

Wow... that sounds exactly like me

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey,

Thanks so much for the advice. I was wondering if the grades that I receive from a post-bacc program be factored into my undergrad GPA? Also, at this point, my first choice in dental schools is Stony Brook.
Do you think that a Stony Brook post-bacc program would better serve me than a Columbia post-bacc program? I figure that Columbia is the better name, but part of me feels that if I do very well at Stony Brook, then I have a better shot at SB dental. Anyone agree?

ANY ADVICE IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

Thanks!!!

Hey,

Thanks so much for the advice. I was wondering if the grades that I receive from a post-bacc program be factored into my undergrad GPA? Also, at this point, my first choice in dental schools is Stony Brook.
Do you think that a Stony Brook post-bacc program would better serve me than a Columbia post-bacc program? I figure that Columbia is the better name, but part of me feels that if I do very well at Stony Brook, then I have a better shot at SB dental. Anyone agree?

ANY ADVICE IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

Thanks!!!

PB's at your #1 choice is always a good idea if you can somehow get to know the dental peeps. If they know you by name when they go over the thousands of apps, its a tremendous advantage, you have no idea!! :laugh:

I think it might be a good idea to try and set up a meeting with the dean of admissions at whatever school you want to go to. Just go to the office of admissions and ask if you can make an appointment. At the meeting, explain your situation and ask what you can do to make yourself a good applicant for their school. That way you have exactly what you need to do. We can speculate what would give you the best chance, but I think that the dental school would be a better place to ask. Plus it will show that you are commited to this if you take time to go meet with them.

I would definitely advise you to apply to a few post-bac programs. If you are worried about your GPA, you may want to try to apply to a few masters programs as well.

Thanks again for all of the advice!

Well, I called Stony Brook's Dental school today, and they told me that they would be happy to answer questions that I have over the phone, but they only offer meetings with representatives from the Dental School when a student is accepted! I then called the pre-health, post-bacc program office, and made the next available appointment with the post-bacc adviser, which is not until December 5th!

I think that I might just show up at the dental school and see if I can catch anyone!

Thanks again for all of the help

For MN at least, you are required to explain every W you get on your transcript.