Advice NEEDED!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SuperTank

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
First of all, thanks in advance for any input that you give me. It's all needed!
I took my DAT yesterday, and I am writing my personal statement today (I wanted to wait until after my DAT to write it to know if there were any areas that needed t be addressed, or reinforced, etc.) I wanted to give a list of schools that I am applying to, and see what you think my chances are, or if there is anything I can do to somehow make me a more desirable applicant.

I originally took the DAT in 2005, but did not complete the application process as I had some other things that I needed to do before going to dental school. I graduated in December 2005, and worked for about a year as a dental claims processor at an insurance company. I have spent the last two years as a representative for my church in France and Switzerland. Although I was able to do a lot of service over there, I was unable to do any other activities (job shadowing, academic clubs, other service organizations) and this makes my application look pretty weak on paper. Anyway, here is a list of the numerical stats:

DAT 2005: DAT 2009:
PAT 23 25
QR 20 19
RC 21 28
Bio 19 17
Chem 22 19
OChem 19 19
TS 20 18
AA 20 20

My overall GPA was a 3.51, and a 3.48 science GPA,

I am from San Diego, CA, and my dream is to go to a SoCal school, but after looking at a lot of posts on here, I am not sure that my chances are very good.

The schools that I am applying to are: USC, UCLA, Arizona, Midwestern, Louisville, Creighton and Oregon.

I am getting married on Friday, and so really need to know if I have chances at these schools, or if I should be adding others to the list. I have to submit my application tomorrow at the latest. My fiancee doesn't want to go to the east coast for school, but I am thinking that if it would give us better chances, it may be better to put them on there as "just in case-es". Please let me know, I really need to get some good input. Thanks so much!
-SuperTank

Members don't see this ad.

First of all, thanks in advance for any input that you give me. It's all needed!
I took my DAT yesterday, and I am writing my personal statement today (I wanted to wait until after my DAT to write it to know if there were any areas that needed t be addressed, or reinforced, etc.) I wanted to give a list of schools that I am applying to, and see what you think my chances are, or if there is anything I can do to somehow make me a more desirable applicant.

I originally took the DAT in 2005, but did not complete the application process as I had some other things that I needed to do before going to dental school. I graduated in December 2005, and worked for about a year as a dental claims processor at an insurance company. I have spent the last two years as a representative for my church in France and Switzerland. Although I was able to do a lot of service over there, I was unable to do any other activities (job shadowing, academic clubs, other service organizations) and this makes my application look pretty weak on paper. Anyway, here is a list of the numerical stats:

DAT 2005: DAT 2009:
PAT 23 25
QR 20 19
RC 21 28
Bio 19 17
Chem 22 19
OChem 19 19
TS 20 18
AA 20 20

My overall GPA was a 3.51, and a 3.48 science GPA,

I am from San Diego, CA, and my dream is to go to a SoCal school, but after looking at a lot of posts on here, I am not sure that my chances are very good.

The schools that I am applying to are: USC, UCLA, Arizona, Midwestern, Louisville, Creighton and Oregon.

I am getting married on Friday, and so really need to know if I have chances at these schools, or if I should be adding others to the list. I have to submit my application tomorrow at the latest. My fiancee doesn't want to go to the east coast for school, but I am thinking that if it would give us better chances, it may be better to put them on there as "just in case-es". Please let me know, I really need to get some good input. Thanks so much!
-SuperTank

honestly i think you have very good shots at SoCal schools but i guess you can never be 100%. I would suggest you to just go ahead and submit now and if you wait until about august or september (or even earlier if you feel not safe about it) and if you do not get many interviews, you can send out additional schools.

but i would always spend about 500-600 more in this year in order to not wait another year (im a reapplicant). Also I would probably add Western University since it's in Cali and it's also a brand new school which means there is usually not as great numbers of applicants as some other well known schools

I agree with lphiewok, I would think you have a good shot at least! Best of luck with applying.:thumbup: Spend some time to check out a few more prospective schools and maybe add in a few more for good measure.

Oh and congratulations on the marriage! Wish you all the best with that too!!:love: