Advice Needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AspiringDOC2010

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I applied this cycle and was lucky enough to receive 2 interviews (1 of them coming up). But I may be looking at reapplying if I don't get in this year. My stats are:

MCAT: 30 (12 P, 10 B, 8 V)
cGPA 3.8/sGPA 3.7

I have ample clinical volunteer experience, some work experience, research experience (with a publication in submission), and some shadowing experience. My LORs should be fine.

A mistake I made this past cycle was applying relatively late due to a late MCAT (I received my score sometime in mid-August of 2009). I also took quite a bit of time to turn in my secondaries. Turned most of them in in September.

I'm really torn about what to do with respect to the MCAT. I know the 8 in Verbal is not good. But, to be honest, I did prepare quite a bit the first time around. I think I just lost some of my composure during the Verbal section on test day.

Anyway, I do dread even thinking about taking it again. And honestly, I don't know how much more I would improve if I took it again. My practice scores usually topped out at 32, maybe 33. So, I think at best I could improve my score by 2 points. I just don't know if it's worth it to return to test mode (I've been out of school during this lag year) for a 1 or 2 point improvement (and of course, there's always the risk of doing worse or getting the same score).

Yeah, so I'm just not sure at all what I should do. Do you think it would be enough to reapply super early this time (no secondaries in September) and with some new experiences (research, clinical, etc)?

Sorry for the long post, and thanks to those who've read up to this point. To sum it up, should I retake the MCAT to improve my Verbal score and my overall score by a couple of points? Thanks again...

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi illegal

To a total of 19 schools - Texas schools (I'm a Texas resident, although I was verified in late August), Jefferson, Drexel, Tufts, SUNY Downstate and Buffalo, NYMC, Sinai, Einstein, and a few others.

I know, my choice of schools is not very broad and should've included many more...

Hi illegal

To a total of 19 schools - Texas schools (I'm a Texas resident, although I was verified in late August), Jefferson, Drexel, Tufts, SUNY Downstate and Buffalo, NYMC, Sinai, Einstein, and a few others.

I know, my choice of schools is not very broad and should've included many more...

That actually does not sound like a bad list with your stats.

Is there anything unique about your application? Did you have anything that might have made a reader stop and think about how a certain experience might contribute to success as a physician? You said you have ample clinical experience and volunteer experience - can you elaborate on these a bit more?

I think your late-ish submission definitely contributed to not getting more interviews. I also think it was a mistake not to apply to DO schools unless you are more interested in research than being a clinician.

That actually does not sound like a bad list with your stats.

Is there anything unique about your application? Did you have anything that might have made a reader stop and think about how a certain experience might contribute to success as a physician? You said you have ample clinical experience and volunteer experience - can you elaborate on these a bit more?

I think your late-ish submission definitely contributed to not getting more interviews. I also think it was a mistake not to apply to DO schools unless you are more interested in research than being a clinician.

Hi again. Sadly, I don't think there's anything that unique about my application. I'm a non-traditional student with some work experience outside of medicine and I majored and minored in non-science subjects. I have some volunteer experience tutoring high school students. I also volunteered in different departments at different hospitals, but again, nothing out of the ordinary. Just run of the mill stuff, I guess.

I only applied MD this round, and I was able to receive 2 interviews. So I'm just not sure. I'm really confused. I like to think that it's not my scores that are keeping me out based on the fact that I did get some interviews. But I know that the 8 in Verbal is not helping me.

And now I'm afraid that it's starting to get late. I could take it again in June with 2 months of preparation, but I'm just afraid that I won't really do much better. I really poured a lot of my energy into it the first time around (maybe too much), and now the prospect of retaking it serves as a real psychological roadblock.

.Hi AspiringDOC2010,

I was reading over your thread and there are quite a few similarities to mine:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=716885

I don't have any advice for you since I'm sort of in the same boat but I'll tell you what I've been telling myself: do what you can to improve your application and if you want it enough, it will happen.

Also, apply to DO schools this time around. I made the same mistake when I applied this cycle and I don't plan on making that mistake twice.

I'm looking at finding problems so bear with me, it is not my intention to be negative.

Your MCAT is not a representation of your grades. A 3.8/3.7 GPA with a 35-36 MCAT is appropriate, a 30 is low for that GPA (especially your verbal score but you know that).

What qualifies as "ample clinical experience"?

Are you sure about your LOR? A subpar LOR has ruined many potential acceptances/interview opportunities in the past for others.

I would call into some of the schools that you have applied to that rejected you and ask for an open file review in how to improve your application for next year. They may sugar coat things but really listen and ask questions to find out what they felt was negative about your application in their minds. Also throw out the question of the LOR to them and ask if they felt that they were appropriate to be used next cycle.

I think that jslo is right.
I'm sure the low verbal score didn't help, but as you say it may be hard to improve this quickly.
I'm not so sure that your clinical experience is going to help you stand out...as you said it sounds like more run of the mill stuff.
Right now it doesn't sound like you have anything to make your application stand out. You're going to need something - a higher MCAT score would help, but more clinical experience is definitely doable and would probably help as much or more.

Your MCAT score is likely to keep you out of the schools w/high stats, unless you pulled up the verbal score.

Definitely do not apply late, because your application may get lost in a pile of similar ones.

Consider DO schools, considering your needs/wants. It might be a good option especially if you are geographically limited and/or want to do primary care.