Advice Needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IndianaGuy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let me start by saying that I am a 26 year old non trad student who has/is making a career switch. I have almost all the prerequisite courses complete except physiology. I was thinking of taking this semester off to concentrate on studying for the DAT and getting it done by March or April, and if I need to take it again, I can get it done by June or July. Psychology was my major so I don't have a lot of science courses outside the prereqs. Would it matter if I took physiology in the summer or fall instead of this spring so I could fully concentrate on the DAT?

Members don't see this ad.

What is your GPA? So it seems like you went back to school and have been in school for sometimes to complete your prerequisites. Are you applying next cycle (during June 2011. It seems like you are not since you are planning on possibly taking physio in fall). I think you could take times off to study for DAT and ace it. I do think it's a better idea, but i think for most schools, the DAT score is good for 2 years so just keep that in mind. Hope this help.

Let me start by saying that I am a 26 year old non trad student who has/is making a career switch. I have almost all the prerequisite courses complete except physiology. I was thinking of taking this semester off to concentrate on studying for the DAT and getting it done by March or April, and if I need to take it again, I can get it done by June or July. Psychology was my major so I don't have a lot of science courses outside the prereqs. Would it matter if I took physiology in the summer or fall instead of this spring so I could fully concentrate on the DAT?

My overall gpa is 3.76 and my science gpa is 3.65. I am thinking of applying this June 11 cycle. As I understand it, the prereqs don't have to be done before you apply, only before you start dental school. So the idea would be to get the DAT squared away before or soon after this upcoming cycle opens. Then I could finish physiology after my application is in. The reason I would do this is I work part-time and the university I attend is an hour away so it would eat up more time than I would like. I just want to be ready to go this cycle since I was going to try last cycle but didn't get the DAT done.

Members don't see this ad :)
My overall gpa is 3.76 and my science gpa is 3.65. I am thinking of applying this June 11 cycle. As I understand it, the prereqs don't have to be done before you apply, only before you start dental school. So the idea would be to get the DAT squared away before or soon after this upcoming cycle opens. Then I could finish physiology after my application is in. The reason I would do this is I work part-time and the university I attend is an hour away so it would eat up more time than I would like. I just want to be ready to go this cycle since I was going to try last cycle but didn't get the DAT done.

I would suggest taking physiology this semester. It will only help you study for the DAT biology section. If you haven't taken anatomy, biochem, or microbio consider them as well. They all help with the DAT anyways. Having all the classes done before you apply can also help your app, although with your GPA you're looking solid either way.

Cheers

I would suggest taking physiology this semester. It will only help you study for the DAT biology section. If you haven't taken anatomy, biochem, or microbio consider them as well. They all help with the DAT anyways. Having all the classes done before you apply can also help your app, although with your GPA you're looking solid either way.

Cheers

I did not take (and have not taken) physiology, anatomy, biochem, or microbio. I still got into more than a handful of schools. Also, I don't believe these classes help significantly for the DAT. Know your into subjects cold, get DAT destroyer (do it and go over it multiple times), get achiever and/or topscore and you are good for the DAT.

I did not take (and have not taken) physiology, anatomy, biochem, or microbio. I still got into more than a handful of schools. Also, I don't believe these classes help significantly for the DAT. Know your into subjects cold, get DAT destroyer (do it and go over it multiple times), get achiever and/or topscore and you are good for the DAT.

It all depends on the school. The OP needs to research the required courses. For example Anatomy/Phys are required at MWU, and Biochem/Microbio are required for Colorado, biochem is common for many schools.

I am primarily looking to attend IU since that is my state school. I have taken a year of physics, chemistry, organic chemistry, and biology. I have also taken micro, biochem, and anatomy. The only class left that is required, for IU at least, is physiology. How much does having ALL of the required courses done before application matter?

Since you have already taken many other upper division bio courses, I don't think it would matter much. They just like to see more than the bear minimum, and you have that.

You really don't have to take an entire semester off for the DAT, in fact if you take no classes they may wonder why. As Physio is really not that daunting and it will help you with the DAT I figure why not just take it.

For the DAT, consider using software like achiever, topscore. And Crack DAT PAT is a must for the PAT section. Don't rely on something like Kaplan alone, their practice tests are too easy.