Advice on a potential switch

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

visceral0775

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently told my PD that I was interested in switching specialties. They were very supportive and recommended I get on ERAS, contact programs asap and they also offered to write me a LOR. That's all fine and good but if I don't find something else, of course I plan on staying in my current program. If I start looking to switch and am unsuccessful, is there a chance my PD won't renew my contract for next year?

Members don't see this ad.

I recently told my PD that I was interested in switching specialties. They were very supportive and recommended I get on ERAS, contact programs asap and they also offered to write me a LOR. That's all fine and good but if I don't find something else, of course I plan on staying in my current program. If I start looking to switch and am unsuccessful, is there a chance my PD won't renew my contract for next year?
Of course. You told your PD that you don't want to continue in your current specialty. If you have them write a letter in support of you leaving, do you expect them to seriously keep your spot open?

Why would you tell your current program director that you want to transfer without having another spot in hand first?

Why would you tell your current program director that you want to transfer without having another spot in hand first?
Because getting a new spot without a LOR from your prior PD is much, much harder?

Imagine this from the perspective of the new PD. He doesn't know why you're leaving your prior program. You're saying that you're doing fine and just don't like the specialty - but maybe you're actually on the verge of being fired and trying to bail before it gets to that point. He doesn't know.

Versus if you start searching with the support of the original PD, that is much more clear.

At this point, the likelihood of getting an interview is very low. If your home program or a place that is very local to your current program has the field you're looking for, it's possible that contacting them now might get you an interview. Else, you'll be looking at SOAP spots. What field are you looking for?

Your PD might want to refill your spot. Whether they do that before or after the match is up to them. Sometimes if you'd be a final year resident next year in your current program, they won't refill the spot. Sounds like you have a good relationship with them -- you should just ask.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah, just be in frequent, open contact with your PD here and don't assume they will do anything (ie hold your spot) if they haven't said they will. Honestly, you decided reeeeeally late to switch, so I concur that you're unlikely to match unless your current PD can help you at the home or other nearby program. So if you wind up not getting positive vibes from any of your prospective programs in the new field and you could see yourself being happy in your current specialty, then don't do anything that would shut the door on staying in your current program.

Reactions: 1 user