Switch from IM to FM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oscarmu25

Reaction score
Well, currently PGY1 internist , loved outpatient, loved OBgyn, ped and outpatient procedures. (which IM does not have)

Please I am under a J1 visa sponsored by the Canadian Gov, doing IM = jobless when I return to Canada, because accreditation is a long process. and I do not want to do J1 waiver.

I got above average step 1/CK score and excellent ITE.

I know it is late in the game, but do I have an advantage?

Members don't see this ad.

Well, currently PGY1 internist , loved outpatient, loved OBgyn, ped and outpatient procedures. (which IM does not have)

Please I am under a J1 visa sponsored by the Canadian Gov, doing IM = jobless when I return to Canada, because accreditation is a long process. and I do not want to do J1 waiver.

I got above average step 1/CK score and excellent ITE.

I know it is late in the game, but do I have an advantage?
what kind of advantage are you looking for...you are an FMG and want to switch...FM is less competitive per se than IM, so depending on the IM program you matched , ie, university vs community, you should be able to re apply and match...how that works with a J1...that i do not know.

does your place have an FM program? maybe you can see if they will take you.

what kind of advantage are you looking for...you are an FMG and want to switch...FM is less competitive per se than IM, so depending on the IM program you matched , ie, university vs community, you should be able to re apply and match...how that works with a J1...that i do not know.

does your place have an FM program? maybe you can see if they will take you.
Na, we are a giant hospital and healthcare group, 3 hospitals does, but my hospital does not. My DIO helped me contacting these hospitals, but they are ROLing.
In terms of advantage, since I already have plenty USCE : IM PGY1, will that be easier for FM to take me.
Our program is the most competitive IM more, even more competitive than the general surgery program in our sister hospital. I know, I listened to my ego when I apply and ranked this program, I should of listen to my heart.

Your options:

1. Set up an ERAS application immediately
2. Contact local FM programs or any place that you have a connection. Ask them if they will consider your application at this late date. Probably not, but asking can't hurt.
3. Plan to apply to FM SOAP programs.
4. Failing that, consider applying next year at the usual time.

Expect to get no credit for your IM training in FM.

Reactions: 1 users
Your options:

1. Set up an ERAS application immediately
2. Contact local FM programs or any place that you have a connection. Ask them if they will consider your application at this late date. Probably not, but asking can't hurt.
3. Plan to apply to FM SOAP programs.
4. Failing that, consider applying next year at the usual time.

Expect to get no credit for your IM training in FM.
appreciate it alot! but what is my chance in soaping into FM?

We aren't going to be able to answer this question without more concrete information. In general, if you've performed well in residency up to this point and your scores are good, you may be more desirable than unknown FMGs with less clinical experience. But whether you will be able to successfully SOAP into a limited number of FM spots when you're competing against not only FMGs but strong AMGs who missed out on their preferred specialty is anyone's guess.

Reactions: 1 users
Idk about location
We aren't going to be able to answer this question without more concrete information. In general, if you've performed well in residency up to this point and your scores are good, you may be more desirable than unknown FMGs with less clinical experience. But whether you will be able to successfully SOAP into a limited number of FM spots when you're competing against not only FMGs but strong AMGs who missed out on their preferred specialty is anyone's guess.
Step 1 60s percentile, CK 90 percentiles , relatively new grad, ITE:77% (which for some reason at the bottom compare to other PGY1), strong LoR from faculties, supportive letter from PD. Currently in good terms with PD, " not so good inpatient intern" , but ok outpatient evaluations and fantastic hem/onco block performance.