Not open for further replies.

GoSpursGo

SDN Chief Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I have recently graduated from a U.S. public university with a cGPA of 3.95+ (sGPA of 3.9+ --not exactly sure). I am currently on my first of anticipated two gap years (I plan on applying during Spring/Summer of 2022). During my gap years, I am working on boosting my clinical experience, research experience, community service experience, leadership experience, and personal development.

I have taken the MCAT twice (both before the start of my first gap year). I scored a 507 on my first attempt with a 127 on B/B and a 125 on CARS. On my second attempt, unfortunately, I scored a 506 with a 125 on B/B and a 125 on CARS. I am not as concerned about my scores for the other subsections which is why I have not listed them.

I am planning to broadly apply to DO and MD programs in the U.S. with MCAT medians/averages around 510 or below (taking into consideration schools' in-state/out-of-state preferences and fit with my application profile). In my state of residence, there are a few medical schools with a median/average MCAT of 510 or below.

Based on my GPA and MCAT scores (overall and subsection), will the medical schools I'm planning on applying to expect me to take the MCAT a third time during my two gap years? Will they expect me to pursue an SMP/post-bac or take extra classes? If necessary, I may engage in these academic pursuits. In my opinion, however, I think I should concentrate on working on other parts of my application to make it more competitive/stand out. If you could provide your advice on my situation, I would appreciate it. Thank you!

Your grades aren't the problem, so I would not look toward an SMP/post-bacc.

You would open a bunch of doors with a higher MCAT, assuming that you do indeed check all the other requisite boxes during your gap years. However, if you apply broadly and include DO, and especially given that you aren't in one of the more competitive states, I suspect you'll get accepted somewhere regardless.

Members don't see this ad.

Based on my GPA and MCAT scores (overall and subsection), will the medical schools I'm planning on applying to expect me to take the MCAT a third time during my two gap years?

Nope

Will they expect me to pursue an SMP/post-bac or take extra classes?

No. Why on earth would they? You have a 3.9 GPA!!!

In my opinion, however, I think I should concentrate on working on other parts of my application to make it more competitive/stand out.

That is what gap years are for!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello!

I have recently graduated from a U.S. public university with a cGPA of 3.95+ (sGPA of 3.9+ --not exactly sure). I am currently on my first of anticipated two gap years (I plan on applying during Spring/Summer of 2022). During my gap years, I am working on boosting my clinical experience, research experience, community service experience, leadership experience, and personal development.

I have taken the MCAT twice (both before the start of my first gap year). I scored a 507 on my first attempt with a 127 on B/B and a 125 on CARS. On my second attempt, unfortunately, I scored a 506 with a 125 on B/B and a 125 on CARS. I am not as concerned about my scores for the other subsections which is why I have not listed them.

I am planning to broadly apply to DO and MD programs in the U.S. with MCAT medians/averages around 510 or below (taking into consideration schools' in-state/out-of-state preferences and fit with my application profile). In my state of residence, there are a few medical schools with a median/average MCAT of 510 or below.

Based on my GPA and MCAT scores (overall and subsection), will the medical schools I'm planning on applying to expect me to take the MCAT a third time during my two gap years? Will they expect me to pursue an SMP/post-bac or take extra classes? If necessary, I may engage in these academic pursuits. In my opinion, however, I think I should concentrate on working on other parts of my application to make it more competitive/stand out. If you could provide your advice on my situation, I would appreciate it. Thank you!

Can I ask why you are taking multiple gap years? Have you considered just applying now? Its a little late...but you do have everything.

I am taking two gap years to keep my options open in terms of strengthening my application. My application would have been rushed (assuming I applied on time) and would have lacked certain advantageous elements. I have not considered applying now as it is late in the cycle. I was debating whether I should have applied this cycle but I decided not to since my chances of being a reapplicant would have been higher this cycle than the next cycle. Without going into much detail, my options for strengthening my application include studying for MCAT if necessary, boosting my clinical experience, potentially securing advantageous LORs, and engaging in work that I'm passionate about (it's relevant to medicine).

Thank you everyone for your responses; I appreciate it! As per the advice given on this thread, if I decide that I want to be more competitive for more medical schools, I will study for the MCAT again.

Yes but if you are talking 2 years away, know what the MCAT eligibility window is as your oldest score may not be considered in screening. So take your MCAT before you apply.

Status
Not open for further replies.