Advice on Adversity/Diversity Topics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redheart33

Reaction score
Hey SDN! It's my first time posting (yay) as I really need help with my secondary essays. Here are some topic ideas:

Adversity:
- Growing up with a mentally unstable father (bipolar, schizophrenic), showed me the hardships of having someone mentally ill in the family and making sure he gets help. He was never able to hold down a job (still doesn't have one) so my mother was the sole contributor to the family as a physician. Hard for me because I grew up hating my father because I didn't know what was wrong with him and why he wasn't "normal," but as I got older I learned about the intricacies of mental health and the toil it took on him and my family. This topic is pretty personal to me, but I feel like the focus could be away from me if that makes sense
- Studying abroad in Spain for a semester. Absolute culture shock, my language skills were pretty awful when I arrived even though I thought they were good, and I thought I had made a mistake. First month was incredibly rough as I was in a place that I knew I did not fit in. However, over time I got more used to it, befriended locals, opened my mind up a LOT, and started to assimilate myself by learning about the culture deeply. Ended up volunteering at an elementary school as an English TA to help students because so many people in Spain helped me practice Spanish.

Diversity:
- Have been dancing since I was three years old, has been one of the most important pillars of my life. I continued dance throughout college as well (it's my activity with the highest hours, actually) as it was an outlet for creativity and stress. I only did South Asian styles of dance, so it was a way to connect with my culture; it also taught me agency, discipline, and teamwork. I just don't know how I could relate this to being a physician though, so struggling with this
- Again, studying abroad in Spain (read above). Could talk about becoming more culturally competent, I also have international experience shadowing physicians in Honduras and India, so could bring in those and talk about understanding how medicine plays different roles in other societies.
- Have worked with an incredibly diverse range of patients, from high-resource to low-resource hospitals, elderly to pediatric patients, American to international patients abroad. This does not have to be the focus of the essay, but could be something I link in to the topics above.

Any thoughts or advice are appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

To be honest, I think they all sound great and are valid options. I really hate this advice, but I would just go with whichever ones you connect with most. Your passion for the event will show in the essay.

Sidenote: My personal favorite is the dancing one. I think there is just something so primal/beautiful about it.

To be honest, I think they all sound great and are valid options. I really hate this advice, but I would just go with whichever ones you connect with most. Your passion for the event will show in the essay.

Sidenote: My personal favorite is the dancing one. I think there is just something so primal/beautiful about it.
Ditto!!!!