Advice on Business Education

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HungryHungryLion

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need some advice y'all.

Several of us at my school are attempting to start a business elective/track. Everyone has a different end goal, starting their own practice, joining a clinic or separate side businesses, but nobody wants to walk out of residency clueless to how the business side works. We've all talked to docs who say they are woefully underprepared for the business of medicine and wish they learned it earlier. It's a pitfall that I'd like to avoid if possible.

That said, do any of your schools offer tracks/programs/electives like this that you've found useful? Which school and/or what courses? I think the end goal may be to partner with an MBA program and offer the dual degree option, but for now that isn't on the table. My goal is to find out what you guys have learned that you think would be beneficial, or what you wish you'd have learned before you started practicing. We'd like to find a way to make the most common answers into some sort of curriculum, or hopefully piggyback off of some of the things others schools already have in place.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

It would be pretty hard to retain business knowledge gained during preclinical years till the time you can use it (post residency)

Last edited:
This is true, it's also hard to know what field we'll end up in, impacts on what you need to know as well. That said, I feel like there is a lot of value in establishing some sort of base right now, as well as learning some of the potential pitfalls that may be waiting. Getting hindsight advice from people who have been through it is a valuable thing, even if the landscape of medicine will be changed by the time we get out.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
This is true, it's also hard to know what field we'll end up in, impacts on what you need to know as well. That said, I feel like there is a lot of value in establishing some sort of base right now, as well as learning some of the potential pitfalls that may be waiting. Getting hindsight advice from people who have been through it is a valuable thing, even if the landscape of medicine will be changed by the time we get out.
That’s true. Of course I’m biased since brain is always overflowing and leaking second year knowledge and the thought of any more informative sounds painful haha

Reactions: 1 user