Advice on career

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

interscalene

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently in a partnership track position with a division which is held by a management company. I become eligible for partnership this month in the company and larger company but the place i am credentialed at and half of my production minutes-- we are leaving due to poor payer mix and our division does not want to carry the hospital. The Texas market seems to be more in the production model but i am roughly looking at a 30% reduction in pay after becoming partner because of this and I have to buy stock in the larger company over 5 yrs to become a shareholder. Should I take partnership ? I would get around 40K pay raise but overall pay is going down anyway and when i talk about getting credentialed other places -- the senior people in the grp tell me it is not possible at some places cause the surgeons are too picky

Members don't see this ad.

This is the problem with production-based compensation in a company that doesn’t blend its units across the board for everybody. I highly doubt the reason why they won’t let you near their cookie jar is due to “picky surgeons”.

Reactions: 1 users
The division does blend its minutes ..its just i am not getting access to other facilities when my minutes go down due to us leaving a place i got so i can expect a drop in minutes

Members don't see this ad :)
The division does blend its minutes ..its just i am not getting access to other facilities when my minutes go down due to us leaving a place i got so i can expect a drop in minutes
I see what you're saying. You work in a division for "the company" but that company is severing ties with a facility where your divsion works BUT they're not giving you access to the other facilities in which they work.

Seems like a bit of a messed up situation, but if you want keep the benefits of the company you work for (if they're any good) and maybe have the potential to join one of the other divisions you may just have to take this one on the chin.

Sounds to me like the company is trying to keep all of the juiciest morsels out of reach, those morsels being the minutes at the other facilities. Unless you can find a way to keep your production, does it make sense to stay with them? Groups like that are tough because the super partners at the top of the pyramid control where within the company others can work. :dead:

I’m not sure I understand the logic of this from the company side. Why have people in the group who don’t get to work? If you aren’t working and they aren’t paying you, it seems pointless. That is, unless they simply want you available to staff out of the way sites that aren’t convenient from a travel perspective. If you feel like you are just being used as a part time worker for distant sites you will have to choose between working less and making less vs finding greener pastures. That’s a tough sell if you’ve already put in your time.

So basically most of you are correct the company wants anesthesiologists available to cover surgeons in various locations but if the days are super variable and work isnt steady should i stay with the larger company and become a shareholder? Im in an aging division and most of the partners are not looking for new business and the larger company has other divisions i could potentially transfer to. I am thinking maybe i should find greener pastures with a guaranteed salary and guaranteed vacation unlike the production model i am on currently

Reactions: 1 user
So basically most of you are correct the company wants anesthesiologists available to cover surgeons in various locations but if the days are super variable and work isnt steady should i stay with the larger company and become a shareholder? Im in an aging division and most of the partners are not looking for new business and the larger company has other divisions i could potentially transfer to. I am thinking maybe i should find greener pastures with a guaranteed salary and guaranteed vacation unlike the production model i am on currently
Stay, make partner and see if you can transfer as a partner.

I think I would go and take my chances elsewhere. They’re treating you like the corporate cog that you are. Choosing to work less and earn less is one thing. Wanting to work more and being shut out while asking for buy in money is just a kick in the nuts.

People tell me it is very hard to transfer as a partner at the estados unidos anesthesia amigos.

It's not from my standpoint. In the past two years, we have had 3 non-Cardiac associates transfer to other divisions. Despite our work load, we have not had any shareholders or Cardiac associates within our division try to transfer out, but supposedly there are processes in place to make doing so "easy"

It's not from my standpoint. In the past two years, we have had 3 non-Cardiac associates transfer to other divisions. Despite our work load, we have not had any shareholders or Cardiac associates within our division try to transfer out, but supposedly there are processes in place to make doing so "easy"

Last edited:
See responses in bold.

When you say transfer to other divisions, do you mean other divisions within the same city? Or an entirely different city/state that happens to also be USAP?

They can transfer among any other groups, no matter location. Once a Shareholder, they will remain a Shareholder even when transferring to another platform (I.e. From Texas to Colorado or Washington, etc). Obviously, this still depends on whether there is an open position where someone would want to go

Did they repeat a partnership, or transferred as immediate partner benefits/salary?

Every group handles their compensation model differently so it is hard to answer this question. To be honest, we have never had to situation come up where someone wants to transfer into our group as a Shareholder. We are a Cardiac heavy group and have a heavy workload compared to most other MD only groups

Would love to hear more, as I have always figured the logistics would be difficult as each groups "buyout" and future capitalization and synergy are different.

We have only had associates transfer out of our group, so haven't really had the situation come up. I think the synergies should be the same, but am unsure on this and never really cared much to ask as I am happy in my current situation. Also, never got a buyout as I was an associate when we joined USAP.

pm me. is this metro or usap? if its usap it is very possible to transfer divisions as a partner depending on where you want to go. I know severa very welll who have done so and can advise you if you are talking about usap