Advice on Caribbean Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

S260

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I’m currently attending a Caribbean medical school and I absolutely hate it. Before you all go off on a rant, one of the main reasons I chose the Caribbean route is because I am actually from the Caribbean. I do not have US residency which means that attending US medical schools are without a doubt more difficult. I did undergrad in the states, and now I’m attending a Caribbean school, which isn’t in my own Caribbean home country. Anyways, I guess I’m hoping to hear from any other Caribbean medical students who successfully transferred to a US medical school perhaps within the 2nd /3rd year? Which schools accept transfers? Your experience with the Caribbean medical schools?

Members don't see this ad.

it is going to be nearly impossible for you to transfer to a US school, especially since you don't have US residency. There are only a handful of US schools that take transfers and it is not common. How far along are you in your program? What school are you attending?

Reactions: 1 user
So I’m currently attending a Caribbean medical school and I absolutely hate it. Before you all go off on a rant, one of the main reasons I chose the Caribbean route is because I am actually from the Caribbean. I do not have US residency which means that attending US medical schools are without a doubt more difficult. I did undergrad in the states, and now I’m attending a Caribbean school, which isn’t in my own Caribbean home country. Anyways, I guess I’m hoping to hear from any other Caribbean medical students who successfully transferred to a US medical school perhaps within the 2nd /3rd year? Which schools accept transfers? Your experience with the Caribbean medical schools?

I have known only 1 friend who successfully transferred to a DO program. She was able to do it after completing 2 years (4 semesters) at Ross, passing step 1 and before 5th semester. She was straight A student with no blemishes in the chart. I'm not sure which school accepted her since we lost touch. However, I can say that it is tough to transfer out of a Caribbean school and into US. Very Very Very few students have successfully navigated this route. GL OP

Members don't see this ad :)
I think Drexel is the only one but even they have like taken 1-4 carib transfers tops in the last 10 years. I don't think this is doable

Hi

Its good Option to Study Medicine in the region Caribbean.

Caribbean region is safe for all students who are ambitious to become doctors.

My advice with regard to medicine admission would be that you can choose the Caribbean medical schools as they provide quality education at reasonable cost. I would also advice you to check with regard to the universities accreditation and recognitions before you enrol in the university.

Hi

Its good Option to Study Medicine in the region Caribbean.

Caribbean region is safe for all students who are ambitious to become doctors.

My advice with regard to medicine admission would be that you can choose the Caribbean medical schools as they provide quality education at reasonable cost. I would also advice you to check with regard to the universities accreditation and recognitions before you enrol in the university.

The OP is already studying at a Caribbean school. Did you even read his post or just respond to the title?

Forgive my suspicions, but since you just joined SDN yesterday, I did a little snooping. I found your posts on Quora talking about investigating Caribbean medical schools for your son. Your information is not coming from good sources. You should continue your research. There are many many pitfalls along the pathway to becoming a physician through Caribbean medical schools, and you do not appear to have realistic expectations for Caribbean medical education.

Reactions: 3 users

So... what's happened? Update?

-Skip