Advice on chances to land a residency spot

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BrickCityGas

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a third year med student and recently developed an interest in anesthesiology through a recently developed group at our school. I would like to know if a 201 in step 1 limits my chances of landing a spot in an anesthesiology residency in NYC, Texas, and/or Florida (UF and Miami)? Any advice would be deeply appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a third year med student and recently developed an interest in anesthesiology through a recently developed group at our school. I would like to know if a 201 in step 1 limits my chances of landing a spot in an anesthesiology residency in NYC, Texas, and/or Florida (UF and Miami)? Any advice would be deeply appreciated!

Take step II early dude.

NYC progs... 11
FL progs... 5 (1 in Miami)
TX progs... 7
TOTAL... 23

You need to apply to more programs than this to be competitive. You're going to have to expand your geographic area. You can match anesthesia, and maybe in one of those places, but to be sure you match SOMEWHERE, I would apply to more places. Why does it HAVE to be those 3 areas?

like the advice above take step two early and improve and apply more widely as well -- this is key, apply widely. You can always turn down interviews if your application turns out to be better received than you thought (but it would really suck to limit yourself and then loose out for at least a year). pick a few of the middle of the road programs in those areas and do away rotations there and hope for the best. of all the people I know that had to scramble (not just in anesthesiology) it was because they were too restricted geographically and didn't keep their options open.