Looking for PGY2 anesthesia spot

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gasman19

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm currently an intern in a categorical anesthesia program and I'm looking to move to a different program. Please let me know if you know of any current or soon to be open spots starting PGY2/CA1 in July 2023.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes, I know all the sites to check. Just trying to see if people know if their programs are wanting to take on more residents/things through the grapevine

Members don't see this ad :)
No red flags or anything. Just don't like my program and want to be closer to where I'm from

Life as a PGY-1 is a pretty different experience than being a CA1. Not presuming to know your situation, but hopeful that you may like your program more when the anesthesia part starts to come together.

Reactions: 3 users
Life as a PGY-1 is a pretty different experience than being a CA1. Not presuming to know your situation, but hopeful that you may like your program more when the anesthesia part starts to come together.
Unfortunately this is a program poor culture and poor fit :(

• Okay...
Reactions: 1 user
Unless there's something really egregious going on on their end, try to tough it out. Program jumping will be something you have to explain in detail for every job, fellowship, credentialing, malpractice insurance and licensing process for the rest of your life, and is by itself a red flag.

Unless there's something really egregious going on on their end, try to tough it out. Program jumping will be something you have to explain in detail for every job, fellowship, credentialing, malpractice insurance and licensing process for the rest of your life, and is by itself a red flag.
I don’t think that’s a problem, lots of people have done intern year separately from anesthesia years.

Unfortunately this is a program poor culture and poor fit :(
So you want someone else to suffer a crappier program with "poor culture" just so you can find an easier/less challenging residency program?
I don't think anyone will take you up on that.

Members don't see this ad :)
So you want someone else to suffer a crappier program with "poor culture" just so you can find an easier/less challenging residency program?
I don't think anyone will take you up on that.
I asked for openings, not swaps. Programs expand and some residents choose to leave or get fired. Openings happen between March Day and July 1. It has nothing to do with my program being too challenging.

I understand the chances are slim... but full steam ahead in trying at least
Sorry can’t help u with anesthesia despite my numerous contacts. The couple of places I know morph slots to other in institution residents from other specialities who wanted to switch into anesthesia.

I did hook up someone with a categorical residency slot after failing to match and scramble in another specialty (not surgery/anesthesia). They were super sad they didn’t match or scramble match. That was just luck the institution had a residency slot expansion and money to fund it. I just happen to know the former anesthesia resident and their spouse is also doc in another speciality and national program director so sent out feelers to see if any slots open. Suffice to say. I got a free weekend place to stay at their west coast Florida beach place anytime I want.

So chances are slim. But not zero.

Good luck.

This is true, but don't they then go on to Match a PGY2 spot rather than switch? I think the optics of switching is bad as others have stated.

I know someone who scrambled into an unknown upstate NY anesthesia program after failing to match derm. After CA-1 year, they transferred to an elite west coast anesthesia program. Switching has not held them back in any way.

I know someone who scrambled into an unknown upstate NY anesthesia program after failing to match derm. After CA-1 year, they transferred to an elite west coast anesthesia program. Switching has not held them back in any way.
Correct. No one cares where u went to med school or even residency once u have been attending for a few years. (A few years is up to interpretation 1-4?). Your personal references will matter more as you advance in ur career.

Although the anesthesia market is crazy these days. Many places will take any warm body. When our place actually had openings. We had to turn around some well qualified candidates. 18 months ago. They would have taken any warm bodies

Correct. No one cares where u went to med school or even residency once u have been attending for a few years. (A few years is up to interpretation 1-4?). Your personal references will matter more as you advance in ur career.

Although the anesthesia market is crazy these days. Many places will take any warm body. When our place actually had openings. We had to turn around some well qualified candidates. 18 months ago. They would have taken any warm bodies

Agree completely. Ancient history doesn’t matter….at all.

Bumping because I'm still hoping for an opening

Seems to be a single vacancy and quite a few swaps (42) available for CA-1 year.

Last edited:
Seems to be a single vacancy and quite a few swaps (42) available for CA-1 year.

Hey I check those sites daily. The one "vacancy" is an old one that was already filled.

Every now and then PCs and PDs post openings on here. Just wanted to keep this thread fresh.