Advice on Choosing Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cle2020

Reaction score
Hey All!

I'm planning on submitting my application in June this year but unsure what schools I should apply to. Here are my stats and list of schools. Any suggestions/comment helps! Thanks so much in advance and good luck to everyone this cycle.

Stats:
RE-APPLICANT
Grad student
3.7 GPA
19 TS DAT (19QR, 17RC, 18 Bio, GC 19, OC 24), 18PAT
5+years dental experience (shadowing & assisting)
100+ hours volunteer/leadership outside of dentistry

Schools:
MEH (Meharry)
OSU (Ohio State)
COL (Colorado)*resident
UNLV (U of Las Vegas)
UNC (North Carolina)
BUF (Buffalo)
WASH (washington)
Texas- any suggestions (if I should even bother) and which schools specifically I have the highest chance of getting in to

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
For OOS students to get into Texas schools, your stats have to be stellar. Unfortunately I think your DAT is too low for them to consider you. But if you do want to apply, apply to all three through TMDSAS. It’s cheaper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
UNiversity of Washington is also very, very hard for non-Washington and non-WICHE applicants. I think they almost exclusively take from those two pools. You’re from the west but since Colorado has a dental school I don’t think you qualify as WICHE for UW dental. Consider swapping this out for a different, more out of state friendly/private school.

With that "ok" DAT score, add more schools for sure. At least 15+ with your stats especially with the subaverage RC and PAT. Honestly, if you have the fund, go for 20+ schools. Also, realistically, you're REACHING pretty hard with this school list (WASH, UNC, TX, etc.) unless you're willing to retake the DAT for a better score. Maybe this list was the reason why you didn't get in last cycle. Be optimistic but also be realistic.

Last edited: