Advice on common secondary question?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PugsAndHugs

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As I am trying to pre-write the secondaries, I wanted to feedback regarding this common question:

" Please describe a challenge you faced and how you addressed it"

One of my biggest challenges is when I unexpectedly received a low MCAT score in the beginning of my senior year of college. My plan was to study for the summer, take it before the semester starts, that way I can focus on my school work/ECs during the semester. However, one month into the semester (early October), I received a score much lower than expected (26 with low verbal score) that really just killed me, mainly because I felt so good after the exam, midterms were not far away, and all the November - January MCAT dates were booked, and the latest day was end of October.

Basically that day/night I was devastated, but the next day that I was going to talk to all of my professors and focus just on studying for the MCAT for the next 2 weeks as it is the only test before the new one. Basically that is what I did, and I went up to a score of 31. I learned a lot from this, such as things don't always go as planned and also think worst case scenario. This is basically the challenge, I wanted to know if including MCAT scores as a challenge is acceptable for secondaries? Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I personally saw that question as a way to share a little story in my life that was not premed-related.

Adcoms will know you retook the MCAT from your application; I'd take this chance to share a little something else (if you have anything).

Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: 1 users
Although it technically answers the prompt, it wouldn't be my answer. It wouldn't hurt you, but like TxC said, I would use the space to sell myself with a different story, perhaps something more personal.