Advice on completing observation hours...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lee9786

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to start my observation hours and am wondering if anyone would have any advise on how to approach this process. I have three weeks off of work and would like to take advantage of this opportunity. The goal is to get exposure to as many different specialties as possible within this time frame. I'm looking to obtain the required observation hours as well as hopefully find an opportunity working as a PT aide.

I'm a little unsure how to approach this process with utilizing my time most effectively. I've read that a hospital might be a good place to start. I was thinking about going this route and then work toward some PT clinics in the area. I'm also curious to how the observation hours are recorded.

Any help is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Greetings,

From experience, Pt Schools like to see you work in a variety of settings. But a major component is in the hospital setting, especially inpatient. Depending on your school of choice they may have some preferences or stipulations. Sometimes you might see "hours must be done in a pediatric and gerontological setting", please check closely.

Now application to a hospital as a volunteer at this time is difficult due to the fact that most other students already got off from school and have you at a head start also some hospitals have a high volume of volunteers but not enough positions to fill and therefore have created deadlines to apply. Most hospitals require you to fill out a myriad of forms that take possibly up to 2 weeks to notify you of your acceptance. this is probably due to the time background checks and other test results arrive.

But have Hope! Getting into a clinic is alot easier, and a PT aide job there is also easier. As i have gotten one through this route.

Here is the game plan. Volunteer at a clinic, devoting about 30 or more hours a week while searching earnestly for a hospital that still has volunteer spots left in their clinic & try all inpatient care facilities like nursing homes

I hope this helps!:luck:

I agree! I volunteered at a clinic and is so much easier to eneter and get a PT aid job. Look for small clinics in the area. If the clinic does not have different areas then my advice would be to volunteer in maybe 2 different settings (depending on the requirements that the schools you'll planning to apply) and go on a part time basis to each (maybe?) good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you both very much. We'll see how this all works out.

I agree with what the others have said...if you go the hospital route, they make you jump through a lot of hoops before you can start volunteering.