Advice on composite letter writer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

colloquialgoth

Full Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,

I recently spoke to my schools pre-health advisors about the LOR process. At my institution, you can opt for a composite letter (which I will be) but you have to pick a faculty member to actually write the 4-5 page composite letter. Apparently the pre-health committee themselves do not actually write it beyond a short introduction to the student, I assume just showcases that this person was proactive about getting advising.

I'm wondering if anybody else has had to make a similar decision when opting for a composite letter and what the best way to showcase myself is.
I have one professor in particular who I think will characterize me as a person by far the best, but she is also currently the only person in the humanities who I could ask for a letter. Would having her write the composite letter (synthesizing her own experiences with me and the rest of my letters) be alright and fulfill the soft humanities letter requirement, or would it be better to ask her to write an individual letter and ask a difference STEM professor to do the composite.

I'm really interested in hearing any other people's decision in a similar situation because I was not aware that this was a potential composite letter avenue.

Thank you everyone!
 
Hello,

I recently spoke to my schools pre-health advisors about the LOR process. At my institution, you can opt for a composite letter (which I will be) but you have to pick a faculty member to actually write the 4-5 page composite letter. Apparently the pre-health committee themselves do not actually write it beyond a short introduction to the student, I assume just showcases that this person was proactive about getting advising.

I'm wondering if anybody else has had to make a similar decision when opting for a composite letter and what the best way to showcase myself is.
I have one professor in particular who I think will characterize me as a person by far the best, but she is also currently the only person in the humanities who I could ask for a letter. Would having her write the composite letter (synthesizing her own experiences with me and the rest of my letters) be alright and fulfill the soft humanities letter requirement, or would it be better to ask her to write an individual letter and ask a difference STEM professor to do the composite.

I'm really interested in hearing any other people's decision in a similar situation because I was not aware that this was a potential composite letter avenue.

Thank you everyone!
Without more details about how you "pick" the composite letter writer (do you choose from your references or a list of prehealth advisors at your institution), I don't know what advice you are seeking. So you'll have to break anonymity and/or tell us which undergrad program does this if you want actionable advice.

Otherwise, we have general articles about who you want as ideal references.

Read (and give it to the person you choose)