Advice on doing my best during a sub-i

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I'm about to start a sub-i and would like to take any advice on how I can perform my best during the rotation. I know I should arrive early, be pro-active by helping out before and after a case, what else could really show that I'm interested? I was thinking I could maybe hop into additional cases at the end of the day...but that might be considered rude so I haven't attempted to do so during my last rotation. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

Toast said:
I'm about to start a sub-i and would like to take any advice on how I can perform my best during the rotation. I know I should arrive early, be pro-active by helping out before and after a case, what else could really show that I'm interested? I was thinking I could maybe hop into additional cases at the end of the day...but that might be considered rude so I haven't attempted to do so during my last rotation. What do you guys think?

I think extra cases is a great idea. In my two rotations, (as far as I know!!), nobody thought I was "rude." It's all about atitude. Ask your attending "what else is going on?" - the key is to ask it in a tone and manner that does not imply that you just want to go home. Sometimes you may just get sent home anyway. If you get put in on another case, thank the person in there, and don't annoy them. Ask good questions, offer to help, shoot the s#!t. If it seems that you're annoying them then just shut up and watch.

Also don't forget that reading at home, knowing book stuff, and asking good questions reflects well.

j fizz said:
I think extra cases is a great idea. In my two rotations, (as far as I know!!), nobody thought I was "rude." It's all about atitude. Ask your attending "what else is going on?" - the key is to ask it in a tone and manner that does not imply that you just want to go home. Sometimes you may just get sent home anyway. If you get put in on another case, thank the person in there, and don't annoy them. Ask good questions, offer to help, shoot the s#!t. If it seems that you're annoying them then just shut up and watch.

Also don't forget that reading at home, knowing book stuff, and asking good questions reflects well.

It is also good to know a bit about the literature in the field.