1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Advice On dropping a class I don't need

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by JalapenoJ, Mar 9, 2007.

1. JalapenoJ

Pre-Pharmacy
    Hey guys,

I'm taking Human Anatomy for Western right now, but I think I'm going to go to USC...is it safe for me to ditch Human Anatomy with a "W"? Thanks. Good luck to everyone!

--James

2. Swanchick84

Swanchick84 Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    You should contact USC directly and see what their policy is on that.

3. GRslp

GRslp New Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    What happens if you don't end up going to USC for whatever reason? Then you're SOL. I'd recommend staying in the class. It surely won't hurt you and you might learn some info that might come in handy later. You never know. It's better to take the class and not need it than to drop it and then need it.

Just my opinion.

4. PolarBear21

PolarBear21 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Do you know for USC, when they say you have to maintain a 3.0 cumalitive, does that mean you just have to keep your GPA from all 4 years above a 3.0, or do you have to get a 3.0 this quarter and next quarter?

5. piyi

5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    I'd stick with the class because you'll probably learn something useful for pharmacy school.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. meowmeow

meowmeow Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I agree with Piyi. And since u seem skeptical about it, just stick with it. Besides, dont u have to take anatomy in pharmacy school? It'll be easier for u if u stay with it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. tungywungy

tungywungy New Member
    2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Well, nothing is really useful to me from human anatomy so far. You'll never go into the depth of learning of muscles that class goes into either. So if you got into USC pharmacy and you don't need this class at all(call them first), then screw it. I found out i got in last year to OU while I was taking genetics, which isn't required anyways, but I regret not ever dropping to get that W. I ended up getting a D in that class since I didn't go nor gave a crap about it. But it's still a D that's tainted on my undergrad transcript. So if you can, drop it, drink beer:D , and enjoy your remaining undergrad year (you'll regret it if you don't).

8. LECOMorBUST

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    If you are going to blow off the course, then of course drop it. I would put the time in and get my money's worth out of the course.

9. PolarBear21

PolarBear21 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Hey I'm in the same shoes as the OP, except I'm almost done with Anatomy in 1 week, its SOOOOO much work seriously it has taken over my life and I barely sleep. And labs are smelly and I am there on saturdays looking over teh cadavers from 10am-2pm sometimes. It can be an interesting class but in my opinion it is WAY too in depth for pharmacy students, these classes have pre-meds and pre-nursing students in mind, I think Physiology courses are WAY more relevant to pre-pharmers so thats why I'm confused why so many schools even require anatomy :confused:

10. cycloketocaine

7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Speaking of stinky labs, in my Zoo lab last week, I dissected a tape worm. :barf:

11. tungywungy

tungywungy New Member
    2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Probably cause they figure if you can handle the course load in that class, you can handle the course load in pharm school. Which hasn't been really true yet in my first year. I probably start studying 3 days before a test and pass just fine.

12. Zeke1955

Zeke1955 Texas Tech Class of 2011
    2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Hey, I had a similar situation. I took a general psyc class this semester to maintain full-time hours to stay on my parent's health insurance policy (CORBA = yikes). I e-mailed my school about it and gave them an honest assessment of the situation: even though I was making an A, the class is on Wed night til 10:30 and Cell Biology is @ 8AM the next morning, and I commute. They were understanding about it. Contact them. Don't risk getting your admissions rescinded!

13. Julianne

Julianne War Eagle!!
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Gawd, I'm weird - I looovveee stuff like this - The yuckier the better (but only if the specimen is not alive)!! I would love to do some work at the "Body Farm" but unfortunately this line of work will probably never get me there. Okay, just thought I'd share (prolly TMI for most of you but maybe someone out there will understand :) )

14. Julianne

Julianne War Eagle!!
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    So I'm not a total thread hijacker:

Last year I was planning on going to Mercer so I dropped my American Lit class a week before finals even though I had an "A" - I didn't need the class and just couldn't motivate myself to do the research paper!! As it turns out, circumstances in my life changed and now I'm having to retake the class because I need it for Auburn. So, to the OP - As long as you have a decent grade in the class, I'd say tough it out if you can. If you end up at USC then you'll have an advantage going into your first year; if you have to change your plans at the last minute, though, the class might be a life-saver.