Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Here is my situation.
Originally from India, graduated with a PhD last year, have 4-5 first author publications, no green card as yet (in process of applying, but may take long time to receive due to nationality ), applied to medical school in January (due to personal reasons, I couldn't apply earlier), got accepted to my alma mater on the alternate list. I will be considered OOS because of visa status and since I got on the alternate list I will not be able to defer the admission for next year.
My PhD mentor who is a PhD says that I should go to school regardless of the debt I accrue (which will be close to 280,000 plus interest) since I will be making so much money anyway later
My postdoc mentor who is an MD says that I should wait a year and reapply next year, hopefully with a green card, so that I get IS, since he feels that your decision to choose your specialty will be biased by your bank statement.
My parents cant pitch in, I dont as yet have a Citizen co signor and moreover because of the credit crunch it looks as if many institutions that normally lend money to international students have stopped.On the other hand, many OOS state schools I applied to rejected my application and I am not sure what my standing will be next year and whether I will get in again if I reapply.
I want some neutral advice on how to proceed.I really want to be in medical school but dont want to burdened with a huge debt. Please help
Originally from India, graduated with a PhD last year, have 4-5 first author publications, no green card as yet (in process of applying, but may take long time to receive due to nationality ), applied to medical school in January (due to personal reasons, I couldn't apply earlier), got accepted to my alma mater on the alternate list. I will be considered OOS because of visa status and since I got on the alternate list I will not be able to defer the admission for next year.
My PhD mentor who is a PhD says that I should go to school regardless of the debt I accrue (which will be close to 280,000 plus interest) since I will be making so much money anyway later
My postdoc mentor who is an MD says that I should wait a year and reapply next year, hopefully with a green card, so that I get IS, since he feels that your decision to choose your specialty will be biased by your bank statement.
My parents cant pitch in, I dont as yet have a Citizen co signor and moreover because of the credit crunch it looks as if many institutions that normally lend money to international students have stopped.On the other hand, many OOS state schools I applied to rejected my application and I am not sure what my standing will be next year and whether I will get in again if I reapply.
I want some neutral advice on how to proceed.I really want to be in medical school but dont want to burdened with a huge debt. Please help