MD & DO Advice on Generating School List with 3.78cGPA and 500 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smartguru11

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody. I need some advice on generating a school list (MD and DO) based on experiences you have encountered. Despite the low MCAT score, should I take a risk and apply this year? Any advice will really help me a lot :)!!

Statistics:
cGPA - 3.78
sGPA - 3.82
MCAT Score - 500 (125 on each section.:()
CA Resident [US Citizen], Asian Indian, State School
Dean's List

Clinical Experience:
Volunteer Experience at Hospitals - 315 hrs
Shadowing Experience in ED and OD - 67 hrs
Coordinated and Served at Health Fair Camps in my area

Non-Clinical Experience
Tutoring disadvantaged students at both the local library and school campus
Served the homeless populations near my area

I have research experience from both on campus and off campus and have edited abstracts for international conference and leadership experience as treasurer and director of social, academic and community events of a honors society.

Members don't see this ad.

MD chances are very slim since you're a Cali resident. Apply broadly to DO schools. You have a good shot there

Your best chances are at the DO schools if you apply broadly to at least 15 schools. You may need a DO LOR for some schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your replies!!

MD chances are very slim since you're a Cali resident. Apply broadly to DO schools. You have a good shot there

Definitely I will take my MCAT again this year and will apply broadly everywhere I can. I'm just a little anxious on whether I should continue to apply this year or apply next year instead. Do you have any pros and cons?

Your MCAT score is lethal for MD schools, and for AZCOM, the coastal Touros, and CCOM as well.

Do NOT apply only DO this year unless you're content with that pathway. Any hope for MD? Then skip this cycle, retake the MCAT, and apply next year.

Thank you for your replies!!

Definitely I will take my MCAT again this year and will apply broadly everywhere I can. I'm just a little anxious on whether I should continue to apply this year or apply next year instead. Do you have any pros and cons?

Your MCAT score is lethal for MD schools, and for AZCOM, the coastal Touros, and CCOM as well.

Do NOT apply only DO this year unless you're content with that pathway. Any hope for MD? Then skip this cycle, retake the MCAT, and apply next year.

Thank you for your suggestion! Definitely I will retake the MCAT. I'm just thinking should I try my luck and apply to few of the MD programs with a lower MCAT range, instead of sitting idle for one year? Agree? Disagree?