Advice on hospital contract

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PennDippody

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Signing your intern year seems odd. I don't see how that would benefit you whatsoever. It only benefits them. They will have you locked in for a contract (especially if they start giving you signing bonus money). The jobs will be there in 3 years, I doubt they will go from needing locums to being 100% filled.

There is no way you are going to work all days starting out in EM in a full time contract. Maybe all nights if you wanted? You can try to negotiate for anything. More likely to negotiate for a high sign on bonus or something than an increase in your rate.

My advice focus on residency. Ignore jobs and everything else until you are at May of your 2nd year. You will have plenty of time to find the job you want.

Reactions: 1 user
If you really want to be in this city b/c of spouse, maybe think about it. I most likely would not. I would ask to allow moonlighting at 300/hr and see.

You would likely be able to negotiate more after residency. Whatever you contract with hospital will likely be less than locums.

Where I locums, I make 200+/hr more than what the regular is contracted

Members don't see this ad :)
Signing a contract this early is nuts. Wait. So much could change between now and then.

Reactions: 1 user
Let your wife work there 6 mos-1 year before you start talking about tying both of you to it. Otherwise, you've made her work there for another 2 years.
Also, no. They won't let you work only days unless you agree to be medical director. You don't want to work somewhere that hires a new grad as medical director.

Ita funny you said that because that was one of the positions, among others, he said he needed to fill.

The spouse is in about a year now with 2 more to go on the initial contract- she loves the job and we love the money. Seems the best thing to do at this point would be to reassess in 2 years when her contract is up and consider a dual decision one way or another.

Option 3 - let your wife be the bread winner and be a stay at home dad. Work occasional Locum shift at the hospital.

Reactions: 1 users
This place is obviously difficult to staff. Don't give away any leverage, that is what the hospital is trying to do.

Be smart. that job will always be there.

Be sure in two years your wife still wants to be there. A lot can change by then. This doesn't sound like the kind of place that will fill all their full time EM positions for the long term. The jobs will be available if you want it