Advice on how to get Clinical Experience (struggling)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premed_hopeful101

Reaction score
I'm struggling to find clinical jobs in my area, I've done many interviews since October to scribe and unfortunately never get hired. I am a current graduate student and I get told each time that I am not an ideal choice since my class schedule changes every semester and can't commit to certain days for a year since I have school.

Currently I have:
- Volunteering at a pediatrics unit (i help with toy distributions and patients when they arrive once a week) so I will have around 65 hours by June. I'm not allowed to volunteer more than 2 hours there hence only 65 hours
- My undergraduate thesis was clinical research, so I do have experience working with participants (I conducted ultrasounds, took blood pressure, etc.) A total of 280-300 hours, maybe 60-70 hours of that I spent doing the experimentation with people throughout the school year

Since I haven't had much luck in my search, I'm not too sure what to do? Will it look bad if I again gain clinical experience through a research lab as this is a way that I can get a large amount of experience (ie not just 2 hours a week)
I would ideally like to apply this coming cycle so I feel a bit stuck

Members don't see this ad.

-Opthalmology Assistant- Ive come across many eye docs that need help with procedures and most will train you.
-Medical Scribe position that includes clinical duties. These are rare, since a lot of scribe positions say they want someone strictly to do clerical tasks, but I have been able to scribe while also setting up for procedures and being a little bit more involved. If you look for specialties that are not 9-5 (ER, for example) then you may have flexibility with your schedule.
-Patient transporter- you may not get the direct physician experience but these are often clinical since you are helping people with transport around the hospital. I have noticed these can have flexible schedules if you are part of a larger team.

You probably are aware, but try searching for "per diem" positions, as these allow for greater schedule flexibility.

Dont forget about shadowing- can be clinical if the physician you are shadowing allows you to take blood pressures or allows you to help out during the shift since you are familiar with them and know how to take blood pressure via protocol. One of the physicians that I shadowed allowed her premeds to take history before she saw the patient. Also when you shadow you won't have to commit to certain times/dates.

Reactions: 1 user
-Opthalmology Assistant- Ive come across many eye docs that need help with procedures and most will train you.
-Medical Scribe position that includes clinical duties. These are rare, since a lot of scribe positions say they want someone strictly to do clerical tasks, but I have been able to scribe while also setting up for procedures and being a little bit more involved. If you look for specialties that are not 9-5 (ER, for example) then you may have flexibility with your schedule.
-Patient transporter- you may not get the direct physician experience but these are often clinical since you are helping people with transport around the hospital. I have noticed these can have flexible schedules if you are part of a larger team.

You probably are aware, but try searching for "per diem" positions, as these allow for greater schedule flexibility.

Dont forget about shadowing- can be clinical if the physician you are shadowing allows you to take blood pressures or allows you to help out during the shift since you are familiar with them and know how to take blood pressure via protocol. One of the physicians that I shadowed allowed her premeds to take history before she saw the patient. Also when you shadow you won't have to commit to certain times/dates.
thank you for the tips! ophthalmology sounds interesting i'll look into that and keep searching!