Advice on how to strengthen application (Rising Junior)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheRealG58

Reaction score
I am a current sophomore, graduating in Spring 2025 and planning on applying the summer after my graduation (so 1 gap year). Advisors haven't been very helpful, so I'm looking for places to improve my app to help my chances

State: FL

Demographics: URM/Black/Male/FGLI

GPA: 3.98 sGPA: 3.97 (A- in Orgo 2)

Taking Physics 1/Biochem in Fall and Physics 2 in Spring to finish up prereqs

Major/School: Anthropology at a large state school

MCAT: N/A; Taking summer 2024

ECs:

Clinical:
256 hrs as a volunteer CNA/MA at a free clinic for patients without insurance (current)

350 hrs from my PCT job last summer (not able to return to this position this summer)

38 hrs shadowing (PM&R/Peds/Ortho) + 40 hrs virtual shadowing

Non-Clinical Volunteering:

~60 hrs as part of a group running a health education fair at elementary/middle schools in the area (current position, may stop)

40-50 hrs as a mentor to low-income high school students applying to college (current position)

~30 hrs from various volunteer activities from club sport

Other:

500-600 hrs as a member of a competitive club sport team (intercollegiate) (current position)

~150-180 hrs as a research assistant in a health equity research lab (no pub)

~100-150 hrs as part of HvZ Nerf group on campus (hobby)

Schools:
Interested in all FL MD schools except NOVA/FIU
Still researching OOS

Been involved with club sport/research/free clinic since my freshman year. Interviewed for a new clinical research assistant position (paid) that I would start this summer and continue during the school year (16hr/wk) that I'm hoping comes through. I obviously still have the MCAT ahead of me but as far as ECs what can I do over these last 2 years to strengthen my app? I'm graduating in spring 2025 but that semester will pretty much just be working on my senior thesis so my schedule should open up some more. Any advice is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Community service, such as Food Bank. Get 150+ hours in that experience and make yourself more mission-fit. Virtual shadowing doesn’t mean anything on applications post-COVID so you will need at least 50 hours in shadowing, with a focus on primary care mostly (FM/IM/Pediatrics).

Also, if you’re a FL resident, you should apply to all FL schools, regardless of school, as medical schools can be a draw of the luck depending on who interviews you, etc.; you want to apply to schools that you have the best chances at, especially those that favor in-state.

Reactions: 1 user
Community service, such as Food Bank. Get 150+ hours in that experience and make yourself more mission-fit. Virtual shadowing doesn’t mean anything on applications post-COVID so you will need at least 50 hours in shadowing, with a focus on primary care mostly (FM/IM/Pediatrics).

Also, if you’re a FL resident, you should apply to all FL schools, regardless of school, as medical schools can be a draw of the luck depending on who interviews you, etc.; you want to apply to schools that you have the best chances at, especially those that favor in-state.
Thanks for the advice! What do you mean by "make yourself more mission-fit"? I have heard bad things about the programs at NOVA and FIU so I am avoiding applying to those.

Thanks for the advice! What do you mean by "make yourself more mission-fit"? I have heard bad things about the programs at NOVA and FIU so I am avoiding applying to those.
Most things have been resolved after I asked current students since I applied to those schools this cycle as well.

Mission-fit as in your purpose to medicine and who and what populations you want to serve in the future as a physician. Your application should reflect this motivation!

Members don't see this ad :)
You seem to be checking all the boxes so I would start thinking about your hooks. You seem to care a lot about health equity (patients without insurance + health equity research) and sports (club sports team, PMR/Ortho shadowing) so I would try to tack on more ECs that would strengthen those themes. E.g. Tack on a sports/rehab based research position, publish with your current health equity lab, maybe there's summer research internships or other long term, fancy experiences that make sense (like volunteering for the the Olympics or something idk)

Moving out of WAMC since OP won't be applying for a year and wants general advice.

That would be Nova's DO program that has been around for a while. So far, I have not heard negatives about the newer MD program at Nova.