advice on how to study/start studying for mcat during gap years?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ariaofthesoul

Reaction score
Hi,

I’m a recent grad of ‘23 back in May and am currently taking two gap years to save up money + strengthen my application due to my low GPA.

I currently work 45 hours a week as a medical assistant at a dermatology clinic and will be working for about a year since it’s two of the practices I’m interested in, the other being gastroenterology.

I’m trying to take the MCAT in April to see what my baseline and then adjust my next steps (post bac and possible MPH) would be but I’m so intimidated and I barely have 4 hours every day when I come back from work.

Any advice on how to study when time is against you or any advice as to where to start. Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

Time isn't against you, you have enough. You'll be working like 80 hours a week between your job, volunteering/shadowing, and studying though, but hey, that's medical training, might as well get used to it now.

1. Review the material. Kaplan books, Khan academy videos, whatever works for you. It doesn't really matter. USE ANKI CARDS so you don't forget stuff. Do those everyday no matter what. You can make your own or there are decks others have made you can try. For equations, keep a master list to memorize as you learn them.

2. Practice exams. I took 10. And make an excel spreadhseet with how you missed each question after you take them. Then take whatever knowledge gap you had and fill those.

Once you've finished content review (maybe a couple months?), repeat step 2 until your exam. Just do as much as you can because you basically have one shot at it. You can retake once if you bomb the first time. More than one retake and you probably won't get into med school anywhere even if you score well.

Also, hot take: you really don't have to take it until the start of May or so. You can apply with a filler school and let your app be processed while waiting to get your score back.

Reactions: 1 user
Ok so parts of your post needed a separate reply sorry
I’m trying to take the MCAT in April to see what my baseline
DO NOT DO THIS. It's not like the ACT. You basically get one shot, see my post above. You're allowed to retake the exam, but med schools will say to themselves "Why did it take aria x tries to do well?" and not admit you probably.
and then adjust my next steps (post bac and possible MPH) would be
Wait, so what would the post-bacc be for? And why the MPH? Just curious for contex
but I’m so intimidated
We all were, you'll make it :)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Look up the SDN 100 day study plan.

No one should take the MCAT for fun. You have 7 lifetime chances to take the test, but schools will average all attempts for screening.

Reactions: 1 users
Ok so parts of your post needed a separate reply sorry

DO NOT DO THIS. It's not like the ACT. You basically get one shot, see my post above. You're allowed to retake the exam, but med schools will say to themselves "Why did it take aria x tries to do well?" and not admit you probably.

Wait, so what would the post-bacc be for? And why the MPH? Just curious for contex

We all were, you'll make it :)
Hey! Thank you for your awesomely detailed advice and sorry for the late reply.

Post bacc would be a great way to get a boost on my GPA while also having a refresher on some of the courses that I forgot from COVID. I've heard the one offered at VCU is great and I've done some research in a few other schools but again I figured maybe an MCAT baseline would be best to see what I need guidance on. What you said about practice exams make sense to be honest, I've been saving money at my job so should I consider a tutor?

I was debating over a Masters in Public Health because I was applying into the UCLA public health scholar program for recent grads as a possible option (they are accepting over people pursuing an MD but I was thinking about a MPH).

I understand the financial burden and slim feasibility of pursuing both but I was really only seeing MPH as an possible option.

I understand the financial burden and slim feasibility of pursuing both but I was really only seeing MPH as an possible option.
There is nothing "wrong" with an MPH. It has little influence on the assessment of your academic readiness at MD schools, though.
DO schools see things differently.