Advice on leaving postdoc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

postdocstress

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am currently completing an informal post-doc at a university counseling center. From the beginning, this has been a terrible fit between myself and the supervisor. However, I have been willing to stick it out for a year and just get my hours and get out of there. Then COVID-19 happened and I no longer have any childcare whatsoever for my 7-year-old and 10-month-old. My husband's profession does not offer him the option to work from home. My supervisor knows my situation but is still expecting me to work 50 hours per week seeing approx. 30 clients per week via telehealth. I've informed her that it is impossible for me to be a full-time stay-at-home mom with no help and also be expected to work full-time. I've also informed her that I can see clients when my husband is home and can help me with the kids. I have been there since August, and I have already met well over my 500 direct client hours required by my state (I am in GA), but I still have to finish my total postdoc hours required for licensure. Also, in GA, you have to do a SWE for a minimum of 11 months.

I have no option but to stay home with my children, but my supervisor is still expecting me to be immediately available between the hours of 8am-6pm and she is continually contacting me and giving me more things to do with very little time to complete them, since she told me this "isn't a vacation" and that I "have to work during working hours." I have pretty much decided to leave at this point because I am at my wit's end. The other full-time counselor who has been there less than a year just told me that she can't take it anymore and is about to quit as well. I have an option to work at a private practice to complete my hours. Anyway, here are my questions: Have you (or do you know of anyone) who has quit one informal postdoc and switched to another? How has that worked as far as licensing is concerned? I really don't want this to delay my licensure if at all possible. Any help or advice would be very appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not sure about informal post docs, but I left a formal post doc and completed my hours at an informal one. The one thing will be getting your ex-supervisor to sign off on your hours. They *have* to, but that doesn't mean they won't make it difficult.

I'm sorry to hear about that lack of flexibility. This situation is awful and most of us need flexibility to manage the unexpected home plus work life right now.

Reactions: 1 users
A former colleague of mine ran screaming from a toxic informal post doc and was set up at a different (and better) informal post doc a week later. She had her hours signed off on from the toxic place and that was all state licensing cared about. Although she did tell me that the situation was so bad there she was fully prepared to walk without the hours and start them over, her mental health was worth more.

Members don't see this ad :)
getting that signature will be the toughest part. Otherwise, shouldn’t be a big deal. Since it is a UCC you will likely have a lot of people to complain to if your supervisor becomes obstinate.

Also, is there a big demand for services at universities right now?

Reactions: 2 users
When you're quitting, there's some options. You could go with

1) Mimicking a mic drop while yelling "LASTNAME out!"
2) Cartman style, "Screw you guys, I'm going home."
3) Just quit showing up, like one of my author friends. And then turn it around on your employer calls by saying that "This is exactly the reason I quit"
4) Half Baked style, where you swear at everyone, but single one person out as being cool.
5) Wolf of Wall Street phone call style, "Hey listen, I quit."

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users
Sorry it's been a while since I posted, but wanted to update everyone. I told my supervisor I was taking a week off after I wrote this original post to figure out what I was going to do. During that week off, I found someone who is very big on taking precautions during this time of COVID and I felt safe allowing her to come and watch my children while I worked. It's so hard to work from home and I knew that I couldn't maintain my hours, so I told my supervisor that I could see clients 3 days a week max. I also contacted all of my scheduled clients, rescheduled them, and spread them out. I further told her I would not be taking on any new clients for the time being. She didn't like it, but I was very firm about standing up for my needs (which was surprising to her but very empowering for me). Our interactions improved, as I think she was scared I was going to leave her with all those clients. The other staff member I mentioned decided to stay on until she goes on maternity leave in the fall.

Well, I have officially made it to 11 months here and while I loved the options provided by PsyDr above and definitely thought about using them ;), I decided to stay until my sentence is over. I have met all of my required hours and the duration that GA requires and will be leaving next week! I've talked to my supervisor and she will be signing off on all of my hours. She actually asked me to stay on in the same position at the same measly salary and was surprised when I almost laughed out loud. I have been counting down the days until I can leave since almost the very beginning of taking this position. Anyway, I took the EPPP yesterday, passed, and was just offered a job with a behavioral health company where I can set my own hours and will be making more than double my current salary. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, it's getting brighter, and I can't wait! Thank you all for your support!!!

• Love
Reactions: 20 users
Anyway, I took the EPPP yesterday, passed, and was just offered a job with a behavioral health company where I can set my own hours and will be making more than double my current salary. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, it's getting brighter, and I can't wait! Thank you all for your support!!!

So glad to hear you were able to make it work! Congrats on the new job!

Sorry it's been a while since I posted, but wanted to update everyone. I told my supervisor I was taking a week off after I wrote this original post to figure out what I was going to do. During that week off, I found someone who is very big on taking precautions during this time of COVID and I felt safe allowing her to come and watch my children while I worked. It's so hard to work from home and I knew that I couldn't maintain my hours, so I told my supervisor that I could see clients 3 days a week max. I also contacted all of my scheduled clients, rescheduled them, and spread them out. I further told her I would not be taking on any new clients for the time being. She didn't like it, but I was very firm about standing up for my needs (which was surprising to her but very empowering for me). Our interactions improved, as I think she was scared I was going to leave her with all those clients. The other staff member I mentioned decided to stay on until she goes on maternity leave in the fall.

Well, I have officially made it to 11 months here and while I loved the options provided by PsyDr above and definitely thought about using them ;), I decided to stay until my sentence is over. I have met all of my required hours and the duration that GA requires and will be leaving next week! I've talked to my supervisor and she will be signing off on all of my hours. She actually asked me to stay on in the same position at the same measly salary and was surprised when I almost laughed out loud. I have been counting down the days until I can leave since almost the very beginning of taking this position. Anyway, I took the EPPP yesterday, passed, and was just offered a job with a behavioral health company where I can set my own hours and will be making more than double my current salary. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, it's getting brighter, and I can't wait! Thank you all for your support!!!

That's great to hear; I'm glad it ended up working out better than expected. Personally, I'd definitely make it a point to get those signatures and other forms as soon as is possible.

That's great to hear; I'm glad it ended up working out better than expected. Personally, I'd definitely make it a point to get those signatures and other forms as soon as is possible.
Thank you for the advice! I will definitely do that

Life is too short. Personally, I'd try to line something up before quitting. I wonder if you reach out the university to see if they can help somehow.

Life is too short. Personally, I'd try to line something up before quitting. I wonder if you reach out the university to see if they can help somehow.
I was offered another position at another site and will be going there. Thanks!

I was offered another position at another site and will be going there. Thanks!

Then, may I suggest using the Half Baked style when you quit? Also, if they get salty about it when you inform them, just take that as MORE evidence that this was the right choice. I'd love an update.