PhD/PsyD Can I cold email private practices for postdoc positions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Carson_Tay

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I’m looking for a general adult therapy postdoc hours

I’m thinking about contacting private practice to see if they may be interested in taking on a post doc, to my understanding that’s smth that is done is that correct?

If so any recommendation on what to say when contacting pp and process of how to go about this?

Additional info: I can’t move due to specific life conditions which is limiting my options. The city/state I’m in now (California) isn’t where I went to graduate school so I don’t have professional connections here.
Long story short I had to take some time off for health reasons during my initial post doc and am now trying to go back and finish hours/licensure - so i feel in a bit of a weird position

Thank you for your help
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
IME, informal stuff is always done through networking (eg., your local psychologist association). If some stranger calls me, I'm going to assume they're an online graduate that is trying to skirt around the usual requirements. If I meet a nice person at a local association meeting, my impression might be different.
 
Word of caution, if you are thinking about doing this make sure you do so with a larger practice. Smaller or more independent practices are more likely to have situations that leave you in a lurch with getting your hours. If you have personality conflicts with your supervisor or even if they have a medical issue like a heart attack, that can leave you with no documentation of your hours when going through the licensing process.
 
Def join your state assoc and get on their list-serv or similar outlet. There are often committees to help trainees and recent graduates. APA divisions could also be an option, but I suspect those are more specialty area dependent. I'm most familiar with Div 40 an Div 22 (Neuro & Rehab Psych), who both do a lot of work with trainees, and I suspect some of the other divisions might be good for that too. The state assoc is the best local/networking option though.
 
I am a practice owner, and I say yes! Go ahead and contact practices. You never know.

One thing to look for are practices who can bill for your services. I don't know the rules in CA. In my State Medicaid will pay for services (e.g., therapy) offered by a post-doc as long as they are under the supervision of a Lic Psychologist and the Psychologist is a panel provider for Medicaid. We can't do that for commercial insurances. I suspect that CA is the same but check. If they can't bill for what you do they probably won't take you on.