Advice on my situation for getting into Veterinary School in Canada

Started by LMich54820
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

LMich54820

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all,
I was hoping I could explain my situation and maybe get some advice on the best route for me to achieve my dream of becoming a vet.
I am 23, from Ontario, Canada, and currently getting my Bachelor of Science in Biology. My past schooling is a little complicated and I am not 100% sure if it applies to me going to vet school but I may as well explain everything. I have a General Bachelor of Arts degree already, where I did not do the greatest because I disliked what I decided to take. Being that I am not a quitter, I finished my first degree, took some time off, and am back getting my science degree now. At the moment I am getting all my first year classes, so I have about 2 and a half years left to figure out what I want to do.
I know that because I am an Ontario resident only, my main option of vet school is Guelph. Unfortunately, due to the way I went about my first degree and how some of my english and arts classes will apply as the required courses within my application to vet school, I highly doubt Guelph will let me in (this is because I took most of my last degree all 4 courses a semester rather than 5, and Guelph defines "Full Time" as 5 courses a semester).
So I have been looking at other options. Ideally I want to go to Calgary, although I understand I will have to live in Alberta for a year before I go to get residency. I have e-mailed admissions in Calgary, asking for a few clarifications on the residency.
I want to know if I have to live there a year before I even send in my application, or if I can apply before living there a year, so long as I have been living there a year before I start school, if I get in. I assume its a year before I even send in my application but if anyone could clear that up on here, that would be awesome 🙂.
If I have to live in Calgary a year before my application, then by the time I finish my Biology degree that I am doing now, live there for a year, apply and get in the FIRST TIME I apply, I will be 28 when I start vet school. I know this is not too old although I would love to get everything done the fastest route possible, while still getting a quality education and not wasting my money or time. What is the average age people even start vet school, any ways?
I want to know if my chances of getting into Calgary are realistic, or if I should look into going somewhere out of country. I understand there are extensive exams that take years and a ton of money to complete, as well at tuition prices being insane out of country. I have looked at a few although none sound as good as Calgary, or anywhere in Canada, really. I just want some advice and opinions on people who have been in situations similar to mine, due to it being tough getting into any vet school.
Any help, opinions, and comments would be much appreciated!!
I am in a bit of a rush, so if I forgot anything I will update later!!
Thanks all!!
 
If you want your stats evaluated for the school in Calgary, I would post in the "What are my chances" thread and mention your interest in the school. Otherwise, only admissions will be able to answer exactly when you can apply while in the midst of a provincial residency change.

You would also be eligible to apply to WCVM as well by being a resident of Alberta, so that's worth consideration as well.