1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

advice on northwestern

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by liberty, Nov 24, 2001.

1. liberty

liberty Member
    7+ Year Member

hey -
    i just received a letter to interview at northwestern which says that once you access the interview planner you can not go in again. i was wondering for those who have used this option, how close are the interview dates offered? from the letter, it sounded like once you access this option you can't look, then think about it for awhile, and go in again. i'm hoping to schedule mine in january and don't want to schedule one for the next two weeks which are rough for me, if that's possible. thanks for any insight.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. grasshopper

grasshopper Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I'm pretty sure I went and looked at the dates and then went back on and scheduled it. I think they just mean you can't reschedule via the online thing after you've already booked one. As long as you don't actually choose, I'm 98% sure you're ok to go on again. Otherwise, I'm sure you could just call and talk to them if it doesn't work (they're pretty nice, from my experience), but I think it should work.

4. hi libery :D

I logged in, looked at the dates

logged out, and then came back and then hit the SUBMIT button...so you can take a look at the dates and then come back later...

mine were pretty much 1 every week for like ten weeks

for example

it was sumthin like

1/4/2002
    8/4/2002

all the way to the end of february I think...I don have school on the 4th, so I picked that sucker :D

good luck ;)

may watcha always be with u

5. whoops

it should read

1/4/2002
    1/11/2002
    1/18/2002

i got my days and mothns messed up... :rolleyes: hope that doesnt when I am doin surgery, ya know? like left vs right...I heard that is tricky...

6. racergirl

racergirl Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey Liberty!

I just got a Northwestern invite too. You can go ahead and look at the dates, just don't click on one and them click "confirm". Instead, you can just look at the dates and click the back button (or close the site) and come back later.

By the way, the next few weeks are pretty full for me too, but all the dates shown as available are in Jan and Feb, so don't worry. I scheduled my interview for 1/11. How about you?

7. racergirl

racergirl Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

AGH! Watcha! Now I'm bummed! I was gonna pick 1/4. but thought it was too close to new year party madness, so chose 1/11 instead. Woulda been fun to meet you!

okokok likes this.
  9. Hey, just curious when you guys turned in your application. It's been about 2 months for me and I was just curious how long it takes to hear something from them.

10. I turned my september 4th, its almost december 4th...so I'd say about 3 months

11. leorl

Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Watcha, Northwestern IS very awesome. It was my first choice undergrad school before my parents made us apply early decision to CWRU :mad: Anyway, yeah..there's a beach right there although the water's freezing, and there's a part where there are huge rocks you can lay on when it's a beautiful clear night. Sports facilities v. good, beautiful campus (plus, who doesn't like purple as a school color :) ). I think there's a Barnes and Noble a block away, and the L is very close too. GREAT PLACE, you'll discover :) . If I were applying in the US, I'd definitely apply to NU.

12. alice

alice Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

for the person who asked about northwestern turn-around time, i am fairly sure that the early november notices of interviewing were among the first they sent out. i had my stuff in by mid-septmeber and got a letter 11/1. keep logging onto that darned applicant status check page even though it may look like your application disappeared. it's <a href="https://med-app2001.northwestern.edu." target="_blank">https://med-app2001.northwestern.edu.</a> also, the rumor is NUMS admits 50% of its interviewees, so that's good news. what have you guys heard about the panel interview? sounds a little scary to me!

Leslie_Knope likes this.
  13. racergirl

racergirl Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Like Watcha, Northwestern received my secondary and stuff Sept 4, so it took close to three months for me to hear back as well.

14. Jalby

Jalby I fight crime at day when Batman are sleeping.
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    I filled out my app on sept 3 or so and I got my interview invite yesterday (along with everybody, or so it seems). I schedualed the 4th, even though I'm schedualled to be in Vegas on New years. I figure I can recover in 24 hours.

15. TwoSteveSquared

TwoSteveSquared Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

17. sandflea

sandflea Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

18. hi sandflea

go to the lounge and find the "we need more graemlin" thread...there is info on how to get those graemlins

[​IMG]

I can't wait to visit Northwestern....ok let me get this straight, the undergrad campus isn't there? but we are still close to a lake, expensive surrounding and shopping malls?

do you by any chance know of any site seeing places around the area, or must see places? I am going during winter break, so I have time to see the surrounding environment :D

19. catcher22

catcher22 Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey Watcha I signed up for Jan. 4th for the same
    reason...no school then...hope to see you there...

The med campus is in downtown chicago, but the undergrad campus is in Evanston - just north of chicago (as was mentioned earlier).
    There are tons of touristy things to check out in chi-town...you might take a look online at a site like <a href="http://www.chicagotraveler.com/attractions.htm" target="_blank">http://www.chicagotraveler.com/attractions.htm</a> or metromix.com ---
    Starting from the Morton Building at NU-Med, you'll basically be on chicago ave. a few blocks east of the famous Michigan Ave. (actually North Mich.) where the "Magnificent Mile" of stores is...it's kind of nice to walk around that area and the watertower area even if you're not into shopping. The Lakeshore (of Lake Michigan) is only a couple of blocks east of there as well...
    Further south is the Navy Pier and the Field Museum...the list goes on....
    You'll have to pick and choose of course if you only plan on walking or taking the el though.
    Sorry this is kind of a messy post...

20. bald

bald Member
    7+ Year Member

heh, you signed up for a january interview? i wouldnt be walking around in january :) it's gonna be about 10 below, with wind whipping off the lake. im an undergrad at nwu, and i cant really tell which campus that earlier poster was describing - "barnes and noble, beach, rocks" - it fits both of them. both campuses are awesome, and in my opinion, it would be one of the greatest settings to attend medical school, if you can foot the bill :)
    bald

21. SMW

SMW Grand Member
    7+ Year Member

Watcha, try to go listen to some blues. Chicago has the best blues clubs in the country. There's also an architecture tour of the city that's supposed to be very cool.

22. praying4MD

praying4MD 2K Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]

23. sandflea

sandflea Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

24. sc

sc Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

25. sc

sc Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Oh, BTW...

Oprah walks her dog every once in awhile on the track in the small park directly across from the medical school, too =)

26. bald

bald Member
    7+ Year Member

27. K271

K271 Member
    7+ Year Member

Wow! Lots of people headed to Chicago! Anybody else gonna be there on the 18th of December??? And is anybody else REALLY freaked out by a panel interview?!

28. I heard that the panel interviews are a lot of fun. I kinda believe it because part of what I have liked about interviewing is meeting people from all around. Talking to them during down times help to relieve my nerves. I hate the fact that I might feel like I have to compete against these people though.

Thanks for the info about your turn around times. Hopefully in 2 more weeks!

Watcha, the chicago campus is great!!!! It's 1 block west of lake michigan (so beautiful!) and 2 blocks east of Michigan Ave, so save some time to walk around (and go shopping if you like that sort of thing!)

29. hey thanks for all your input guys...

but I so not looking forward to panel interviews....if it is fun then great, but if we have to compete then that is bad :(

wadda likes this.
  30. racergirl

racergirl Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Okay, so does anyone know where we're actually supposed to GO for the interview day? Are we just supposed to go to chicago and wander aimlessly around the campus or what? Are they gonna send us stuff, or is the Email confirm all we get? And why does the day start at 7:30!?!? Any answers from someone's whose been there and done that would be much appreciated!

31. TwoSteveSquared

TwoSteveSquared Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

They will snail mail you a confirmation with address and info. Good luck!

32. nochaser

nochaser Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

there is a b&n downtown, it's at the corner of michigan and something, the something being like a block north of chicago

B&N?? Thought that was a Border's, across the street from Water Tower. Anyway, I agree with NUMS having the BEST location for med school. I used to work in the area, and it's not that hard to find a place with decent rent (as in less than a grand/month), particularly condos for rent.

33. bald

bald Member
    7+ Year Member

oh haha, you're right. i'm an idiot. that is a borders on that corner. not that it really matters which is which, they're basically the exact same store :)

34. Rumit

Rumit Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Not to start an argument or anything, but Borders is way better than B&N. :) :) :)

Adam

35. gobears

gobears Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

That particular Borders is probably better than ANY bookstore. It's huge!

36. how huge is huge? 4 floors?

37. sandflea

sandflea Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

38. grasshopper

grasshopper Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I went to NW in October to interview and definitely liked the location better than any other. Another random comment: I woke up in the morning in a student host's room in the dorm after getting there at like 2 am, I looked outside, and it's all completely black: PERFECT view of lake Michigan! Literally there on the shore. And the "dorm" is an old hotel, so everybody gets their own bathroom. Plus I hear there's a pool and a bowling alley or something there in the building. So does the B&N or Borders or whatever it is have a coffee shop in it? If so, I'm definitely going there (regardless of whether or not I get in, of course) :) :) Anyway, anybody know when we find out?

39. girl

girl Member
    7+ Year Member

First of all, yes there's a coffee shop inside the Borders. There's also a Starbucks a little further South on Michigan, next to Garrett's Popcorn (which, by the way, is the world's best popcorn). Second, NU has specific "inform dates" when they make their phonecalls to accept and send letters to waitlist & deny. The first is mid-December (I would guess Dec. 15), then there's one in Feb. and one in March.

40. nochaser

nochaser Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

NU has specific "inform dates" when they make their phonecalls to accept and send letters to waitlist & deny. The first is mid-December (I would guess Dec. 15), then there's one in Feb. and one in March

Awesome info! Thanks, girl.