advice on northwestern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

liberty

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey -
i just received a letter to interview at northwestern which says that once you access the interview planner you can not go in again. i was wondering for those who have used this option, how close are the interview dates offered? from the letter, it sounded like once you access this option you can't look, then think about it for awhile, and go in again. i'm hoping to schedule mine in january and don't want to schedule one for the next two weeks which are rough for me, if that's possible. thanks for any insight.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm pretty sure I went and looked at the dates and then went back on and scheduled it. I think they just mean you can't reschedule via the online thing after you've already booked one. As long as you don't actually choose, I'm 98% sure you're ok to go on again. Otherwise, I'm sure you could just call and talk to them if it doesn't work (they're pretty nice, from my experience), but I think it should work.

hi libery :D

I logged in, looked at the dates

logged out, and then came back and then hit the SUBMIT button...so you can take a look at the dates and then come back later...

mine were pretty much 1 every week for like ten weeks

for example

it was sumthin like

1/4/2002
8/4/2002

all the way to the end of february I think...I don have school on the 4th, so I picked that sucker :D

good luck ;)

may watcha always be with u

Members don't see this ad :)
whoops

it should read

1/4/2002
1/11/2002
1/18/2002

i got my days and mothns messed up... :rolleyes: hope that doesnt when I am doin surgery, ya know? like left vs right...I heard that is tricky...

Hey Liberty!

I just got a Northwestern invite too. You can go ahead and look at the dates, just don't click on one and them click "confirm". Instead, you can just look at the dates and click the back button (or close the site) and come back later.

By the way, the next few weeks are pretty full for me too, but all the dates shown as available are in Jan and Feb, so don't worry. I scheduled my interview for 1/11. How about you?

AGH! Watcha! Now I'm bummed! I was gonna pick 1/4. but thought it was too close to new year party madness, so chose 1/11 instead. Woulda been fun to meet you!

Originally posted by racergirl:
•AGH! Watcha! Now I'm bummed! I was gonna pick 1/4. but thought it was too close to new year party madness, so chose 1/11 instead. Woulda been fun to meet you!•••

aaah the pleasure is mine...true true to close to new year's BUT, school starts on 1/7, I figured why miss school :D

s_feier.gif

gosh I'm SOOOO psyched, I don't know why, I wanted to visit the Northwestern campus so much!! I heard its near a lake, its beautiful, 2 hours of school every day :D and I heard it is like new york. I've lived in new york, but never in chicago....I'm SOOOOO looking forward to it....I hope you to see all of you guyz there, and best of luck to everyone

s_feier.gif

sorry guyz, I just got these new graemlins from the lounge, and I had to use them....

Reactions: 1 user
Hey, just curious when you guys turned in your application. It's been about 2 months for me and I was just curious how long it takes to hear something from them.

I turned my september 4th, its almost december 4th...so I'd say about 3 months

Watcha, Northwestern IS very awesome. It was my first choice undergrad school before my parents made us apply early decision to CWRU :mad: Anyway, yeah..there's a beach right there although the water's freezing, and there's a part where there are huge rocks you can lay on when it's a beautiful clear night. Sports facilities v. good, beautiful campus (plus, who doesn't like purple as a school color :) ). I think there's a Barnes and Noble a block away, and the L is very close too. GREAT PLACE, you'll discover :) . If I were applying in the US, I'd definitely apply to NU.

for the person who asked about northwestern turn-around time, i am fairly sure that the early november notices of interviewing were among the first they sent out. i had my stuff in by mid-septmeber and got a letter 11/1. keep logging onto that darned applicant status check page even though it may look like your application disappeared. it's <a href="https://med-app2001.northwestern.edu." target="_blank">https://med-app2001.northwestern.edu.</a> also, the rumor is NUMS admits 50% of its interviewees, so that's good news. what have you guys heard about the panel interview? sounds a little scary to me!

Like Watcha, Northwestern received my secondary and stuff Sept 4, so it took close to three months for me to hear back as well.

I filled out my app on sept 3 or so and I got my interview invite yesterday (along with everybody, or so it seems). I schedualed the 4th, even though I'm schedualled to be in Vegas on New years. I figure I can recover in 24 hours.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by alice:
•also, the rumor is NUMS admits 50% of its interviewees, so that's good news. what have you guys heard about the panel interview? sounds a little scary to me!•••

I heard they admit 50% and waitlist 40%. Sounds too good to be true. :)

Originally posted by TwoSteveSquared:

I heard they admit 50% and waitlist 40%. Sounds too good to be true. :) •••

Yah I have heard that too, but I HATE the idea of a group panel interview :( it is so against everything I believe in...I mean, I don't want to COMPETE with someone in my interview :( :( snif snif

Really LEorl?!?! it's that cool huh? where have you been girl? haven't heard, seen you for a long time, yeesh, are you hiding in your cave again? ;)

well a big Hug and Hi to you

winke1.gif

Originally posted by leorl:
•Watcha, Northwestern IS very awesome. It was my first choice undergrad school before my parents made us apply early decision to CWRU :mad: Anyway, yeah..there's a beach right there although the water's freezing, and there's a part where there are huge rocks you can lay on when it's a beautiful clear night. Sports facilities v. good, beautiful campus (plus, who doesn't like purple as a school color :) ). I think there's a Barnes and Noble a block away, and the L is very close too. GREAT PLACE, you'll discover :) . If I were applying in the US, I'd definitely apply to NU.•••

actually the med school is not on the same campus as the undergraduate school--both the med and law schools are in chicago, not evanston, which is what i believe leorl is describing above (sounds like it). not that the med school is any worse off: the chicago campus is right off michigan avenue, the big shopping mecca in downtown chicago, in one of the nicest (but most expensive) neighborhoods in chicago. it's still by lake michigan, though, but there isn't as much of a picturesque campus. anyway, it's an awesome place to be--i would LOVE to go to NU for med school...

P.S. watcha--how did you get those cool smiley-faces?! i have the generic version of SDN, i guess....

hi sandflea

go to the lounge and find the "we need more graemlin" thread...there is info on how to get those graemlins

woohoo.gif

I can't wait to visit Northwestern....ok let me get this straight, the undergrad campus isn't there? but we are still close to a lake, expensive surrounding and shopping malls?

do you by any chance know of any site seeing places around the area, or must see places? I am going during winter break, so I have time to see the surrounding environment :D

Hey Watcha I signed up for Jan. 4th for the same
reason...no school then...hope to see you there...

The med campus is in downtown chicago, but the undergrad campus is in Evanston - just north of chicago (as was mentioned earlier).
There are tons of touristy things to check out in chi-town...you might take a look online at a site like <a href="http://www.chicagotraveler.com/attractions.htm" target="_blank">http://www.chicagotraveler.com/attractions.htm</a> or metromix.com ---
Starting from the Morton Building at NU-Med, you'll basically be on chicago ave. a few blocks east of the famous Michigan Ave. (actually North Mich.) where the "Magnificent Mile" of stores is...it's kind of nice to walk around that area and the watertower area even if you're not into shopping. The Lakeshore (of Lake Michigan) is only a couple of blocks east of there as well...
Further south is the Navy Pier and the Field Museum...the list goes on....
You'll have to pick and choose of course if you only plan on walking or taking the el though.
Sorry this is kind of a messy post...

heh, you signed up for a january interview? i wouldnt be walking around in january :) it's gonna be about 10 below, with wind whipping off the lake. im an undergrad at nwu, and i cant really tell which campus that earlier poster was describing - "barnes and noble, beach, rocks" - it fits both of them. both campuses are awesome, and in my opinion, it would be one of the greatest settings to attend medical school, if you can foot the bill :)
bald

Watcha, try to go listen to some blues. Chicago has the best blues clubs in the country. There's also an architecture tour of the city that's supposed to be very cool.

Originally posted by WatchaMaCallit:
•do you by any chance know of any site seeing places around the area, or must see places?••• Like a previous poster said, I wouldn't be walking around the lake in January in Chicago. I believe the windchill can hit 15 below. Stay warm! But there are a ton of things to see in Chicago, most notably, it's the Blues capital of the world.

First, check the Chicago Reader, which is a free newpaper that can be found at every convenience store in Chicago for what bands are playing at specific places.

Assuming you are 21 years old,

Buddy Guys Legends on S. Wabash - nationally known for great blues.

Cubby Bear on W. Addison (across from Wrigley Field) - anywhere in this area is loaded with bars and restaurants - you can't go wrong. Be forewarned - VERY CROWDED!!

Museums - All the museums in Chicago in awesome! Definitely go to the Field Museum (history), the Art Museums, Museum of Science and Industry, and Shedd Aquarium (big fish, jazz every Thrs. night)

Expensive but moderately fun - Navy Pier

Pizza - Uno's on 29 E. Ohio Street - REAL deep dish chicago pizza.

Sushi: Sushi Wabi: very expensive, but if you like sushi, it's incredibly good stuff. Mmmm. Wasabi anyone? :D

Have fun and tell the handsome young bartenders there I said hi. Believe me, they'll remember me. ;)

Note: I must give due credit to RxFudd here because he is the original creator of this list. I just added a few recommendations of my own. All bow to the Chicago Man. Fudd, you rock. :)

Originally posted by bald:
•heh, you signed up for a january interview? i wouldnt be walking around in january :) it's gonna be about 10 below, with wind whipping off the lake. im an undergrad at nwu, and i cant really tell which campus that earlier poster was describing - "barnes and noble, beach, rocks" - it fits both of them. both campuses are awesome, and in my opinion, it would be one of the greatest settings to attend medical school, if you can foot the bill :)
bald•••

yup, NU is pretty freakin expensive--definitely a drawback. but i don't believe there is a barnes and noble or a beach near the chicago campus, yet that stuff definitely is in evanston. anyway, watcha, we're all nitpicking just so that you don't get the wrong idea of what to expect--the chicago campus isn't as much of a 'campus'. and i failed to note like everyone else that weather-wise, you will suffer in january!! dress warmly, and limit your outdoor roaming of the city!

:D

Originally posted by alice:
what have you guys heard about the panel interview? sounds a little scary to me![/QB]••

I had my NUMS interview on November 16th. The panel interview format isn't THAT bad but I still liked it the least of all my other interviews. It really all depends on who else is in the room with you. It was less formal than I expected and the interviewers were really laid back.

When the assistant dean spoke to us, she said that for Northwestern it is really great that we made the interview cut. I believe they do send acceptances to around half of the interviewees and the rest (except for a small portion) are waitlisted. Their waitlist isn't ranked so if you express interest that Northwestern is your first choice, you'll be at the top of the list =)

I hope this helps!

The campus is great, and EVERYONE there LOVES Chicago!

Oh, BTW...

Oprah walks her dog every once in awhile on the track in the small park directly across from the medical school, too =)

Originally posted by sandflea:

yup, NU is pretty freakin expensive--definitely a drawback. but i don't believe there is a barnes and noble or a beach near the chicago campus, yet that stuff definitely is in evanston. anyway, watcha, we're all nitpicking just so that you don't get the wrong idea of what to expect--the chicago campus isn't as much of a 'campus'. and i failed to note like everyone else that weather-wise, you will suffer in january!! dress warmly, and limit your outdoor roaming of the city!

:D •••

there is a b&n downtown, it's at the corner of michigan and something, the something being like a block north of chicago ave, and the beach is a few blocks south (ok maybe more than a few :) ) of abbott hall. but you are right, compared to the evanston campus the downtown 'campus' is not very green or open, but i'm not sure that makes it any more attractive

Wow! Lots of people headed to Chicago! Anybody else gonna be there on the 18th of December??? And is anybody else REALLY freaked out by a panel interview?!

I heard that the panel interviews are a lot of fun. I kinda believe it because part of what I have liked about interviewing is meeting people from all around. Talking to them during down times help to relieve my nerves. I hate the fact that I might feel like I have to compete against these people though.

Thanks for the info about your turn around times. Hopefully in 2 more weeks!

Watcha, the chicago campus is great!!!! It's 1 block west of lake michigan (so beautiful!) and 2 blocks east of Michigan Ave, so save some time to walk around (and go shopping if you like that sort of thing!)

hey thanks for all your input guys...

but I so not looking forward to panel interviews....if it is fun then great, but if we have to compete then that is bad :(

Okay, so does anyone know where we're actually supposed to GO for the interview day? Are we just supposed to go to chicago and wander aimlessly around the campus or what? Are they gonna send us stuff, or is the Email confirm all we get? And why does the day start at 7:30!?!? Any answers from someone's whose been there and done that would be much appreciated!

They will snail mail you a confirmation with address and info. Good luck!

there is a b&n downtown, it's at the corner of michigan and something, the something being like a block north of chicago

B&N?? Thought that was a Border's, across the street from Water Tower. Anyway, I agree with NUMS having the BEST location for med school. I used to work in the area, and it's not that hard to find a place with decent rent (as in less than a grand/month), particularly condos for rent.

oh haha, you're right. i'm an idiot. that is a borders on that corner. not that it really matters which is which, they're basically the exact same store :)

Not to start an argument or anything, but Borders is way better than B&N. :) :) :)

Adam

That particular Borders is probably better than ANY bookstore. It's huge!

Originally posted by nochaser:
[QB]

B&N?? Thought that was a Border's, across the street from Water Tower. [QB]••

yeah, that's what i was thinking, especially since i was on michigan this weekend! it's right next to that big victoria's secret, by the ghiradelli chocolate place and FAO schwartz. anyway, borders, barnes and nobles....same difference...

I went to NW in October to interview and definitely liked the location better than any other. Another random comment: I woke up in the morning in a student host's room in the dorm after getting there at like 2 am, I looked outside, and it's all completely black: PERFECT view of lake Michigan! Literally there on the shore. And the "dorm" is an old hotel, so everybody gets their own bathroom. Plus I hear there's a pool and a bowling alley or something there in the building. So does the B&N or Borders or whatever it is have a coffee shop in it? If so, I'm definitely going there (regardless of whether or not I get in, of course) :) :) Anyway, anybody know when we find out?

First of all, yes there's a coffee shop inside the Borders. There's also a Starbucks a little further South on Michigan, next to Garrett's Popcorn (which, by the way, is the world's best popcorn). Second, NU has specific "inform dates" when they make their phonecalls to accept and send letters to waitlist & deny. The first is mid-December (I would guess Dec. 15), then there's one in Feb. and one in March.

NU has specific "inform dates" when they make their phonecalls to accept and send letters to waitlist & deny. The first is mid-December (I would guess Dec. 15), then there's one in Feb. and one in March

Awesome info! Thanks, girl.