Northwestern vs WashU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iLoveBones

Reaction score
Good morning beautiful people, please help this dummy make a decision

Some info:
No financial aid information yet, hopefully in the next few weeks. But I’m very poor and have great stats so I’m optimi$tic

Specialities of interest, in order:
  • Ortho (90% sure based on clinical and research experience)
  • Otolaryngology
  • Neurology
  • General surgery

Northwestern pros:
  • Students seemed happy and competent
  • Multiple residency programs in Chicago
  • Higher ranking in neurology
  • Friendly faculty
  • Chicago bears and Blackhawks for entertainment if I can afford tickets
  • New atmosphere. I’m from Texas, Chicago will be a new experience. The bar is low

Northwestern cons:
  • Lower ranking
  • High cost of living

WashU pros:
  • Higher ranking
  • Better reputation for ortho and ENT?
  • Cheaper cost of living
  • More generous financial aid based on student feedback

WashU Cons:
  • Missouri politics. I’m gay, not flamboyant so I can hide it I’m used to it being in Texas. But if it accidentally comes up in casual conversation, idk if it can affect my career since most surgeons lean conservative and it’s Missouri
  • Boring and kinda ugly. Although the boring part might also be a pro, no distractions

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

You can't really go wrong in my opinion. Both are amazing schools that consistently match quite a few students into ortho. It sounds like you'd be much happier in Chicago, so I'd lean towards Northwestern. As someone who's lived in both cities, I would MUCH rather live in Chicago

Reactions: 1 users
You aren't a dummy with that choice.

I will agree the Missouri politics stinks, and we cannot predict the future except there's no way Chicago and Illinois reverts to red over the next four years (unless Republicans win the WH and control of Congress).

Check out how much is covered with your student health insurance. We have an archived post in the LGBTQ forum about this but updates may be necessary.

By the way, many surgeons lean conservative given the history of the profession and aversion to high taxes on their salaries. But I'll let them speak for themselves. :) Conservative is not the same as MAGA (I have to keep believing).

Reactions: 1 user
Honestly, I would let the finances dictate. You can't go wrong with either of these institutions.