Advice on not being accepted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Antsi3

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
So i'm getting nervous applying to my schools and I have the GRE coming up in a few days but I just wanted to get some advice on what should I do during that year off if I'm not accepted right away? I must say that my stats are low and not really competitive due to personal reasons at the beginning of my undergrad. I hate to think like this but I have to face reality. Anyways, I know for sure I will be retaking classes to help boost my GPA but what else should I do, something PT related or non-PT related? I look forward to your input.

Members don't see this ad.

I was not accepted the last application cycle and it'd definitely not the greatest feeling. After being rejected by the schools I really wanted to go to I set up an appointment with an admissions officer and asked to review my application. They were able to give me some pointers about what classes to retake, whether or not I needed to retake the GRE and how else I could improve my application. I also continued to gain more experience as an aide in an outpatient office. Getting more experience or observation hours especially in different settings with different populations would also help improve your application.

I agree with nature girl that it would be good to get more experience or observation hours in different settings. This is what I plan to do if I don't get in. I'll probably try to get more inpatient hours and look into settings I haven't observed before. I'll probably retake a couple classes also.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I was not accepted the last application cycle and it'd definitely not the greatest feeling. After being rejected by the schools I really wanted to go to I set up an appointment with an admissions officer and asked to review my application. They were able to give me some pointers about what classes to retake, whether or not I needed to retake the GRE and how else I could improve my application. I also continued to gain more experience as an aide in an outpatient office. Getting more experience or observation hours especially in different settings with different populations would also help improve your application.

Great info. It never crossed my mind that I can set up a meeting with the admissions officer to review my application so I will definitely do that.
And aside from volunteering more in different settings, I'm going to look into finding an aide position.
Thank you!!

Just try again next year. There's about a hundred posts on what to do to improve your application. Retake classes, improve your GRE scores, research schools, and apply smart. In your case you should probably focus on schools that take the last 60 credit hours into account.

I agree with meeting with an admissions advisor as well as continuing to read through posts here on this forum. You have to address your weakest areas which may be different person to person. I usually recommend taking as close to a full load of classes this fall and next spring as possible for a GPA boost. Retake as many pre reqs as you can. Get a regular volunteering or aid position set up so you rack up hours all year long. Take a GRE prep class if you need to. Go through the websites of your target schools and look for any recommended courses, preferences factors or other things they list. Some schools recommend exercise physiology, others may prefer someone with observation in a certain setting, some want to see a focus in a regional setting such as rural health. Go after those preference factors if you can.

Just try again next year. There's about a hundred posts on what to do to improve your application. Retake classes, improve your GRE scores, research schools, and apply smart. In your case you should probably focus on schools that take the last 60 credit hours into account.

Will defiinitely! Thank you!

I agree with meeting with an admissions advisor as well as continuing to read through posts here on this forum. You have to address your weakest areas which may be different person to person. I usually recommend taking as close to a full load of classes this fall and next spring as possible for a GPA boost. Retake as many pre reqs as you can. Get a regular volunteering or aid position set up so you rack up hours all year long. Take a GRE prep class if you need to. Go through the websites of your target schools and look for any recommended courses, preferences factors or other things they list. Some schools recommend exercise physiology, others may prefer someone with observation in a certain setting, some want to see a focus in a regional setting such as rural health. Go after those preference factors if you can.

I most likely will retake classes in the spring since this is my final semester. But yea I'm going to do everything else I possibly can. Thank you!!