Advice on OMFS - low stats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jDDS

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm in my last year of dental school and realized I really want to do OMFS.

So, I have a dental office waiting for me when I graduate and I thought I would just graduate and that would be it but I keep getting the nagging feeling that if I don't pursue OMFS, I'll regret it my whole life.

Just to put it out there, my stats are low and I just barely passed NBDE part 1. However, finances aren't an issue and I don't care how many years I have to put into this to achieve this goal.

Any tips on where I can start? I was recommended an internship but I think I'm going to need a little more than that. I was also told about a 2 year anesthesiology residency. Not sure if there are dental students who've traversed this path before.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I'm in my last year of dental school and realized I really want to do OMFS.

So, I have a dental office waiting for me when I graduate and I thought I would just graduate and that would be it but I keep getting the nagging feeling that if I don't pursue OMFS, I'll regret it my whole life.

Just to put it out there, my stats are low and I just barely passed NBDE part 1. However, finances aren't an issue and I don't care how many years I have to put into this to achieve this goal.

Any tips on where I can start? I was recommended an internship but I think I'm going to need a little more than that. I was also told about a 2 year anesthesiology residency. Not sure if there are dental students who've traversed this path before.

Hi,
Many have... they try to improve their CV... Anesthesiology either a 1 year or 2 year program is good. An OMFS internship of 1 year is also a good option. Another option would be a GPR/AEGD. An AEGD will not give you the hospital experience, but a good GPR with OR cases, a lot of oral surgery and medically compromised will help. Most of my GPR's who wanted OMFS have gotten in, some needed an internship after the GPR.

Don't give up.