Advice on Post Bacc Journey

indviduality

Jun 18, 2020
  1. Pre-Medical
    I just graduated with a Bachelors in Biology and did not do well during the first few years of school, my first major was Chem and then switched to Bio. I took a break and enrolled a couple of years later. I started improving slowly and then ended my last year pretty well with mostly B's and A's. My cGPA is a 2.54 with an upward trend at the end. I decided on going back this fall and pursuing a second degree, majoring in chemistry to fulfill the rest of my pre reqs. I am doing a second bachelors at my alma mater due to lower costs per credit (versus non degree). I plan to take the following classes:

Fall 2020 : Organic Chemistry 2 with Lab & Psychology
    Spring 2021: Physics 1 with Lab & Biochemistry without Lab
    Fall 2021: Physics 2 with Lab

Planning to get A's in all of them, especially that I have momentum now but wondering if I will need more classes to show that I am capable of handling a tough course load and succeeding. I also work full time in tech and working towards getting into a clinical role at a hospital to begin my volunteer/shadowing/clinical experience. I have thought about a Masters program and SMP, but I won't be able to get into any with my GPA. After reading Goro's guides it was a clear indication that DO schools mostly reward reinvention but I don't just want to apply to just DO. I've also looked into bridge programs like DPMS.

Should I add on the other upper level chemistry classes such as Physical Chemistry, Analytical Chem (known as Quantitative Analysis I believe) to boost my GPA and transcript strength? Are there any other bridge programs out there besides DPMS? How do med schools look at retakes (example: D to a B) and grade replacements (F replaced with a B) ? I know my cGPA is rough, but wondering if my post bacc can outshine that and at least get an opportunity to share some insight on my struggles from earlier years.

Any advice would help! Im willing to do everything to continue on this path but want to make sure I'm working smart.

Thank you.

Shotapp

5+ Year Member
    Jan 1, 2015
    GA
    1. Pre-Medical
      You need to figure out how many A's you need to make to raise your cumulative and science GPA above a 3.0 to avoid med school cutoffs.
      Should I add on the other upper level chemistry classes such as Physical Chemistry, Analytical Chem (known as Quantitative Analysis I believe) to boost my GPA and transcript strength?
      No body can answer this question for you. Are you confident enough that you can get A's in those challenging chemistry classes without a doubt?
      grade replacements (F replaced with a B) ?
      Medical schools don't do grade replacement regardless of what your university's policies are. All attempts are factored into your GPA.

After reading Goro's guides it was a clear indication that DO schools mostly reward reinvention but I don't just want to apply to just DO.
      You're going to need to do a SMP after your post-bac to have a chance at MD schools.

What you need to do:
      Raise your cGPA/sGPA above a 3.0 via post-bac work. Get a decent MCAT score. Do a SMP and maintain a +3.7 GPA. Only apply to medical schools after you have completed your SMP.

Reactions: 1 user
      About the Ads
      This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
      2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
      5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
      6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      7. This thread is locked.