indviduality
New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just graduated with a Bachelors in Biology and did not do well during the first few years of school, my first major was Chem and then switched to Bio. I took a break and enrolled a couple of years later. I started improving slowly and then ended my last year pretty well with mostly B's and A's. My cGPA is a 2.54 with an upward trend at the end. I decided on going back this fall and pursuing a second degree, majoring in chemistry to fulfill the rest of my pre reqs. I am doing a second bachelors at my alma mater due to lower costs per credit (versus non degree). I plan to take the following classes:
Fall 2020 : Organic Chemistry 2 with Lab & Psychology
Spring 2021: Physics 1 with Lab & Biochemistry without Lab
Fall 2021: Physics 2 with Lab
Planning to get A's in all of them, especially that I have momentum now but wondering if I will need more classes to show that I am capable of handling a tough course load and succeeding. I also work full time in tech and working towards getting into a clinical role at a hospital to begin my volunteer/shadowing/clinical experience. I have thought about a Masters program and SMP, but I won't be able to get into any with my GPA. After reading Goro's guides it was a clear indication that DO schools mostly reward reinvention but I don't just want to apply to just DO. I've also looked into bridge programs like DPMS.
Should I add on the other upper level chemistry classes such as Physical Chemistry, Analytical Chem (known as Quantitative Analysis I believe) to boost my GPA and transcript strength? Are there any other bridge programs out there besides DPMS? How do med schools look at retakes (example: D to a B) and grade replacements (F replaced with a B) ? I know my cGPA is rough, but wondering if my post bacc can outshine that and at least get an opportunity to share some insight on my struggles from earlier years.
Any advice would help! Im willing to do everything to continue on this path but want to make sure I'm working smart.
Thank you.
Fall 2020 : Organic Chemistry 2 with Lab & Psychology
Spring 2021: Physics 1 with Lab & Biochemistry without Lab
Fall 2021: Physics 2 with Lab
Planning to get A's in all of them, especially that I have momentum now but wondering if I will need more classes to show that I am capable of handling a tough course load and succeeding. I also work full time in tech and working towards getting into a clinical role at a hospital to begin my volunteer/shadowing/clinical experience. I have thought about a Masters program and SMP, but I won't be able to get into any with my GPA. After reading Goro's guides it was a clear indication that DO schools mostly reward reinvention but I don't just want to apply to just DO. I've also looked into bridge programs like DPMS.
Should I add on the other upper level chemistry classes such as Physical Chemistry, Analytical Chem (known as Quantitative Analysis I believe) to boost my GPA and transcript strength? Are there any other bridge programs out there besides DPMS? How do med schools look at retakes (example: D to a B) and grade replacements (F replaced with a B) ? I know my cGPA is rough, but wondering if my post bacc can outshine that and at least get an opportunity to share some insight on my struggles from earlier years.
Any advice would help! Im willing to do everything to continue on this path but want to make sure I'm working smart.
Thank you.